Thread: phoenix4 help

Default phoenix4 help

Hi everyone! im new here and new to lasers and the software and interfaces that run them. was wondering if i could get a little help?

a few weeks ago i got my first laser, a Kam Laserscan 1000 3D V2! the laser has been great and a lot of fun to use. having an ILDA connection on the back i started looking at software like pangolin quickshow and fb3 but thought it was a bit expensive for a newbie like me!

So i shopped around and found phoenix4 with micro interface V2 for £100 and thought that was a bit better for me to get started with! after getting this item i found the drivers and install disc to be missing but after contacting the nice guys at laserworld they were able to provide me with phoenix4 install kit 4.20!

anyway after getting everything installed the way the manual said to, software first, then dongle plug in, then interface, everything seems to be going great! phoenix live fired up great, went through the setup, the program saw im interface and i hit auto to connect it to timeline 1, all seems to be going well!

however, clicking "laser on" does nothing? my laser just sits there with no output! the led next to the ilda cable is on and the back display flashes 001 showing i have a connection i guess? the kam manual is no help what so ever when it comes to ilda! but im getting no laser output at all!

So after a week of trying to troubleshoot this thing, ive tried different firmware flashes for the interface, different drivers from the laserworld site but nothing i try has helped! every other firmware i try, i just get told to update the firmware again by phoenix4 live and untill i flash back to 2.5, the program wont see the interface again. so 2.5 is the only firmware i can use that the live program will see the interface!

i have also had a lot of help over the last week from another laserist but even he is scratching his head now! im just unable to get this working.

trying the hardware checker in phoenix4 4.20 just crashes every time i run it and have tried hardware compatibility mode to see if that helps but it still crashes! i even got hold of phoenix3 installer to try and use the hardware checker on that! although the checker loads up fine, it dont see my interface at all! but im not sure if phoenix3 would see the V2 interface for phoenix4 anyway so that dont help!

i really need help to get this working as after a week at this im feeling burned out and really cant think of anything else to try? im running windows 7 and know that it can install the wrong drivers at time but i have manually installed the drivers many times, even removed and reinstalled but again i have gotten nowhere!

can anyone save me from banging my head against the wall! im all out of ideas! i think i have provided all the info i can think of but please let me know if i can give you more!

thank you for your time.

First thing I'd do is establish what part might be at fault.
    You can test whether you're getting any output from the DAC by getting a multimeter on the colour pins and measuring DC volts.
    I have a DB25 socket wired up with tails, but you can also just put push pins into the ILDA outlet and measure across.
    Project a test frame in the software and measure between any one of pins 5, 6, or 7 (R+G+B+) and 25 (ground) and you should see a voltage somewhere between 1V and 5V (it'll be a modulated signal, so you'll get an average, but if it's outputting, you will see 'something'). You're not fussed how much, just that it's doing something.
    If you see activity here, then your issue must be with the projector, either it's defective, in the wrong mode, etc.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hi norty! thanks for your reply! I got my multi meter but didn't have any push pins and the only thing I had to hand that may have worked were staples! anyway I checked the pins 5, 6, 7 with pin 25 and after wiggling the staples a bit I was able to get a readout but a lot less! the average was 0.25 to 0.40 but im guessing this could be down to the staples method? but it did also give them same readings when I clicked laser off as well? not sure if that makes a difference just I thought it would stop giving output when the laser button was turned off? but you did say as long as its doing something! so if im getting an output from the box and down the cable, its a problem with the laser!

well the manual that come with the laser is useless as all it states is this unit can be controlled by any software hardware interface! but it dose state

"if your software is having trouble controlling this laser this may be down to a cable connection issue. some interfaces and cables may have different wiring configuration. the forth and seventeenth pin of the ilda socket need to be connected, if you rectify this issue on your interface then this will cure the control issue"

if this is the answer, any idea how i go about doing this?

thank for your help so far, i really appreciate it!

You'll always get a little residual voltage on the pins, if its only a few hundred mA then you're not getting any output from your DAC. If it was doing 'something' you'd be getting a very definite reading (at least a solid 1V), depending on the frame you're using.
    Pins 4 and 17 are the ILDA interlock loop, and are basically just tied together in the DAC.
    They can be used to let a projector know there is a DAC plugged in or to drive estop over ILDA, but I'm pretty sure that every DAC manufacturer just ties them together as any functional use of the loop is usually done projector side.
    So you need to be looking at getting the output from the DAC, as that's where the issue seems to lie.
    I'm not familiar with Phoenix unfortunately but I know that Pangolin bought it out a few years back, and they ceased development and support late 2017, so you're sort of stuck trying to find existing user base to help you out. But that's probably why it was cheap.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.