Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyone is asking when they can sign up for SELEM 2019...

Hope your father's surgery goes well, Marc! Keep us in the loop.

I apologize again for the announcement being so late. The sign-up thread will go up later today. I spoke with the venue manager yesterday and we should be good to go now. We will have access to the gym this year in addition to the cafeteria, auditorium, and all other normal spaces!

Gary asked "what people were getting tired of and what people are looking forward to"... I don't mean to speak for the group, but speaking in general terms, I think most people look forward to the social aspect of the event as much as anything. Many of us have grown quite close over the years, but because we're all so far apart we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like, so SELEM is almost like a family reunion. Of course, everyone looks forward to seeing new shows, and new equipment, and even learning new tricks and tips, but to me the lasers are secondary to the joy of just hanging out with a bunch of cool folks for a week.

Regarding what I am getting tired of, well, the first thing would definitely be the revolving door at the office for the Auditorium Executive Director! We have yet another new person in that chair this year. Fortunately, she is more experienced than most, as she served on the board of directors for the Auditorium for 5 years and has lived in Newton for quite a bit longer than that. She is very organized, so I don't think we'll have too many issues moving forward.

The other thing I am tired of is the profound sadness I experience the day after SELEM ends when I realize I have to wait a whole year before we can do it again.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 05-02-2019 at 00:56.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I missed Gary's question but, I have to echo Buffo's reply. SELEM for me is really about the people. In theory, I can set up pretty much what we do at SELEM at home in my own venue if I need to get a photon fix so, the lasers really are secondary. Honestly, I tend to back off from running much of anything myself since I prefer watching what others are doing. I don't get a big charge from sitting at a console and pressing cues in ClubSELEM but, I enjoy standing in the back and watching others do it. And seeing their set up ideas, how they zone, etc. Not everyone has the building and the projectors, and the opportunity to play live with a DJ with the regularity that I do so, I get more out of watching others have the experience.

I don't consider myself as a particularly social person and have very few friends outside of the laser circle. Sure a lot of acquaintances and co-workers but, I don't have people that come over for dinner or, that I go to a movie with or play golf with or, anything of that nature. I have a small family, consisting of a 80 year old mother approaching dementia and a son in the army in Texas but, that's it. But something about this group of people I discovered in Newton (and this forum) 10 years ago resonated with me and filled that void. I'm nowhere near as educated as most when it comes to electronics, optics, and general science so it's still a bit baffling how it even happened but, as was said, a large majority of the attendees have become family and are equally, if not more so, important than my own. So, truth be told, it doesn't really matter what where doing - whether it's lasers, RC racing, tesla coils, VR, it's just being there with everyone that's most important for me.

As far as what I'm getting tired of, it's getting... older. Fact is, particularly later in the week, the heat, humidity, and long, busy, filled days are taking their toll and, I've suggested to David Kumpula that we try to leave a late afternoon break in the schedule, at least on say, Friday where there is an open hour or two with no demonstrations or scheduled activities so, if you want to find a spot to decompress and catnap for a few, you're not worried about missing anything.
    PM Sent...

No auditorium? That was the best place IMO.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    No auditorium? That was the best place IMO.
    Auditorium director... not auditorium. We still have that. :-) It's just we've had to break in several new people over the years to what we do and what we're about, rather than have the luxury of dealing with the same people about the event each year.
    PM Sent...

I have free shows coming to you even if I don’t make it

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Auditorium director... not auditorium. We still have that. :-) It's just we've had to break in several new people over the years to what we do and what we're about, rather than have the luxury of dealing with the same people about the event each year.
    This makes it sound like we have the cafeteria and gym.

"I apologize again for the announcement being so late. The sign-up thread will go up later today. I spoke with the venue manager yesterday and we should be good to go now. We will have the gym this year in addition to the cafeteria!"

Smile Clarification is a good thing

I see James' point. I edited the post to make it more clear.

But yes, we still have the auditorium, and the gallery area out front (where the piano is), and the classroom upstairs, and all the backstage areas and dressing rooms. But we also have both the old cafeteria and the gymnasium. (Last year we couldn't get into the gym, which sucked.)

This year the gym will be Club-SELEM and the cafeteria will be the hobby/home-build show-off room. We will also do the indoor drone racing in the cafeteria.

Adam