Thread: Pangolin Beyond MIDI Controllers Work Randomly

Default Pangolin Beyond MIDI Controllers Work Randomly

I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting MIDI controllers to work in Pangolin Beyond.
    I have two off-the-shelf controllers, both connected to the computer via USB. Both devices are listed in MIDI Settings and both device profiles are loaded. Everything is set correctly; however, there is a seemingly random chance that both controllers will either work or both will not work. This happens on any computer I have running Beyond. I can restart Beyond and/or reboot the computer, keeping all hardware connected as before and the outcome can be different (they'll work or they won't work). I just don't know if the issue is related to the laser software, Windows 10, or something else; I have no constant by which to troubleshoot the problem.

Edit 2020:
    I eventually figured out that the problem was caused by me using two identical pairs of transmitter/receiver, one pair for each device that I was connecting to Beyond. Beyond sometimes confused the two as one device and thought it was seeing only one, discarding the second. When that happened, simply swapping the device order in Beyond's MIDI device settings "fixed" the problem...at least temporarily. For example: If device A was listed as device 1 and device B was listed as device 2 in MIDI settings, I simply listed device A as device 2 and device B as device 1. Occasionally, Beyond will kick a device out. Swapping the devices again in settings makes them work.
    Last edited by Zardoz; 11-19-2020 at 09:39.

What model are the MIDI controllers? Are they mains powered or bus powered?
    Are you using a powered hub?

Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

ı had a same problem, back to window 7 and runs perfectly, last 7 mths. I think problem was window 10.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    What model are the MIDI controllers? Are they mains powered or bus powered?
    Are you using a powered hub?

Dan
    I'm using off-the-shelf MIDI devices that weren't designed specifically for controlling lasers. They've been modified to work wirelessly and are connected to wireless transmitters. The wireless receivers are USB to computer. I'm currently not using a powered hub and, frankly, it's difficult to remember if I tried using them with one after all the combinations I've been trying. I'll try using a powered hub and seeing if that does the trick.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by reddevillazer View Post
    ı had a same problem, back to window 7 and runs perfectly, last 7 mths. I think problem was window 10.
    Yikes! I like Win7 as much as the next guy but since I use my computers for Win10-dependent programs as well as Beyond that isn't an option. Were you using a powered USB hub for your controllers when you were having the issue with Win10?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    They've been modified to work wirelessly and are connected to wireless transmitters.
    That might be your problem...
    If connection is lost for a second / packet is dropped, it might need to initialise for it to work again.

Using wired USB MIDI controllers from half a dozen manufacturers, on dozens of different laptops over the years... BEYOND has been really rock solid with MIDI for myself.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    That might be your problem...
    If connection is lost for a second / packet is dropped, it might need to initialise for it to work again.

Using wired USB MIDI controllers from half a dozen manufacturers, on dozens of different laptops over the years... BEYOND has been really rock solid with MIDI for myself.
    For my particular purposes I need the controllers to be wireless. I have noticed that my AKAI APC40 MKII wired controller works solidly every time (that is, if it's powered on before Beyond launches), so maybe the wireless transmitters/receivers are at fault, like you implied. I'm not completely convinced of this because I make sure the transmitter/receivers are paired and the signal lights on the devices are solid (not flashing, which would indicate signal loss).

Looking back on my notes, I noticed I was using a powered USB hub at one time and still having this issue, so I can probably rule out a main vs bus power issue.

Have you set the USB ports to not use power saving in Windows? Need them always on.
    My APC40 sometimes disconnects and I need to open midi settings to get it to work again.
    If your wireless or USB port power is causing even minor dropouts I can see how you might need to instigate a reconnect.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default first timeAPC40mk2

I have been working the ACP40mk2 for a week now , have not had any issues like that ,mine are all Beyond learning curve issues, not an easy change from LD2000 to Beyond ! I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to the default workspace grid to copy more cues to move to my new workspace. any suggestions other than a hammer and a torch?