Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: opsl - when did these happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I don't think I have come across this term with a small laser so what does the thermal lensing do? does it drift with temp?
    From what I know and from what I have seen while playing with this opsl is that the SHG crystal seems to drift and starts to poison the optical resonance. I notice that as the temperature shifts, the power fades off at on extreme or the other but in this range, the power goes up and down as it degrades. So, 50mw at the sweet spot and then 5mw, then 30, then 1mw, then 10 until there is nothing. So, to me, it shifts enough to disrupt the resonance until it just cannot lase.

Someone who knows more can certainly correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    so what does the thermal lensing do?
    Here is a good primer on the topic.

But in a nutshell, temperature variation in a solid can cause it's optical properties to change significantly. Since the optical elements in this laser are extremely small, even a small change in refraction can have a large effect on the output.

Adam

I am finally back to this project. I hope to open one of the greens and try some other pump wavelengths. I got some clean room time Thursday. I’m hitting it with a range from 700-1500nm. I have little hope due to the coatings but we will see. I tried a crude attempt a while back with no luck. This setup will let me use good positioners for alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I am finally back to this project. I hope to open one of the greens and try some other pump wavelengths. I got some clean room time Thursday. I’m hitting it with a range from 700-1500nm. I have little hope due to the coatings but we will see. I tried a crude attempt a while back with no luck. This setup will let me use good positioners for alignment.
    Did you ever get a chance to play with these? I am interested to see if you manage to get some other wavelengths from these guys.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Well no. I looked at the scale of the parts and said...nope.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Well no. I looked at the scale of the parts and said...nope.
    I have one hooked up. Beautiful , very clean, transverse mode, TEM00 on mine. . Divergence with no lens is the sort of beam you want to shoot a transmission or single beam hologram with.
    Have not tried to tune it yet.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...