Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copper vapour laser needs tube: please help

Default Sparks of curiosity

This industry has always been plagued with territorial politics. Hence my advice to start with a neutral group. ... Generally once you get to know your competitors things can lighten up and you might even team up from time to time...

Wise words taken to heart. Thank you.
    Yours is probably a "Copper Hybrid" laser with a Bromide mix, and addition of carefully controlled traces of Hydrogen to the Neon, which dramatically boosts output power. That one design paper is pre-hybrid.

I think you are correct.
    You could safely assume the PRF has not drifted too much, and that temperature is your main variable. Some form of quality laser power meter is critical for making adjustments as it takes a while (10 mins ?) for the tube to equilibrate after a temperature change.

More test gear... love it.

Two theories on this, I. Enjoy your laser till it fails as it is well built. II. Work with David making very small changes till you reach optimum operation. David has one working, and once you make sure you have the same technical configuration, you can talk shop. I'll ask my other friend with the dead one for some pics/ capacitor values.

Knowing what David does for a living, he is well qualified to help you with everything except thyratron tube tuning issues. That only matters if the thyratron has a separate hydrogen pressure control heater besides the cathode heater. Knowing him, he would read up on that anyways and master it quickly.

I would prefer option II and take my time to learn and take proper care to ensure longer life and use.

Oh, and by the way, the fibrous insulation around the tube is a nasty skin/lung irritant. Try not to cut into it unless you have to.

Im guessing its asbestos. Certainly isn't cotton candy!
    Last edited by idk; 05-16-2019 at 19:44.

Default Question about eye protection

Dont I want protection for both 510.6nm and 578nm?

I see the Thorlabs LG3 is good for 180 – 532 nm
    https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=LG3

What about 578nm?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OK, lets switch gears... I have a LG3 and I would have rated it pretty darn good at adsorbing 578.

However take a look at
    LS-BG3-16001 model
    16001 from Phillips Safety

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default eye protection

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    OK, lets switch gears... I have a LG3 and I would have rated it pretty darn good at adsorbing 578.

However take a look at
    LS-BG3-16001 model
    16001 from Phillips Safety

Steve
    OMG the LS-BG3's definitely has the sex appeal. I like the price of the LG3 better though. hmm decisions...

Thank you so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. I just don't have a clear understanding of eye protection and was a bit confused and just want to be safe.

I grabbed a used CVL alignment pair at an on-line auction. They should be here in a week.. OD-2 in the green, OD-5 in the yellow... That would let you align the laser in some peace.. If they are in good shape you can have them at my cost plus shipping to Canada.. So that is 1% transmission in the green, 0.001% transmission in the yellow. Does not matter to me either way as I have a major yellow project in progress, and already have a pair or two. So if you want them, 30$ and shipping.. If you want 100% protection, grab one of the other pairs.

Due to a lack of medical yellow lasers on the market and the demise of dye laser , there is evidently only a tiny market for yellow LSGs, hence the high cost of new pairs.

No coolness factor here, though...

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cvl=sodium guidestar.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 05-18-2019 at 16:15.

Default sold!

Fantastic! they have a higher coolness factor compared to an old school welding mask.
    Ill pm you my addy later today.

Shipped Goggles.. Postal

Steve