Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Static Lumia pics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Haven Ct
    Posts
    1

    Default Static Lumia pics

    Lately I have been working with taking photos of patterns that I get by not running the motor, but turning the disk by by hand till I get something I like and then taking a photo of it.
    Just wanted to share and see if anyone else is doing this.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190323_1936.jpg  

    20190323_010609.jpg  

    20190323_193618.jpg  

    hotblue.jpg  


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North of Jackson Michigan USA
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Looks good. I do this too.
    I find a combination of Ttube before a disc works best.
    As my Wobbulator discs are magnetically mounted, the are easy to adjust this way.

    ...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    nice work. I tried the same. There was a guy doing this if you google it. His images blew me away. It was microscopic diffraction patterns. Mike might know who I'm talking about. It was just so delicate.

    found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWbl89bWVs

    Maybe someone can get him to come to SELEM https://www.linkedin.com/in/bbern/
    Last edited by kecked; 05-28-2019 at 11:56.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,027

    Default

    Holy crap! Brad Bernstein is a SELEM veteran! (BradleyJay) How in the hell could I have known him for years and yet not ever viewed this video before!?!

    That's some seriously cool shit... We need to get him back to SELEM this year and have him demonstrate this!

    Adam

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Make it so captain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Holy crap! Brad Bernstein is a SELEM veteran! (BradleyJay) How in the hell could I have known him for years and yet not ever viewed this video before!?!

    That's some seriously cool shit... We need to get him back to SELEM this year and have him demonstrate this!

    Adam
    Yeah, seems like something that would make for a nice session in the auditorium. The music goes a long way to making the lumia even more interesting.

    -David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    nice work. I tried the same. There was a guy doing this if you google it. His images blew me away. It was microscopic diffraction patterns. Mike might know who I'm talking about. It was just so delicate.

    found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWbl89bWVs

    Maybe someone can get him to come to SELEM https://www.linkedin.com/in/bbern/
    Great lumia video. One easy methodology to achieve similar results (and it almost always guarantees similar, mind-blowing results) is to fine focus the beam on the rotating lumia target TT or display wheel. Back in the day, this was our standard method for getting an array of effects from any given lumia tube/disk, etc.
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Great lumia video. One easy methodology to achieve similar results (and it almost always guarantees similar, mind-blowing results) is to fine focus the beam on the rotating lumia target TT or display wheel. Back in the day, this was our standard method for getting an array of effects from any given lumia tube/disk, etc.
    I still love this and want to know how itís done

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I still love this and want to know how itís done
    Place (mount temporarily or whatever) a simple, convex lens in the beam path to modify the beam diameter. Your basic magnifying glass is a simple, convex lens. It is desirable to know the focal length of the lens but not all that important since shooting the laser beam through the lens will show you it's focal length, the distance from the lens that the beam becomes it's smallest diameter before it expands into a much fatter diameter beam.

    It is at or very near the modified beam's focal length that you want it to shoot through the lumia effect media. You also want the lumia's rotation rate to be very, very, very slow and a speed controller is highly desired. Shoot for a rotation speed of .1 to .25 rpm to start with. My bet is that the lumia pattern consist of small, round dimple-like impressions in the clear plastic or glass tube media.

    I haven't had a optical laser jig setup in eons but will see if I can whip something together and take pics and/or videos. Or if someone else can do so sooner than I can, that would be great.

    Cheers,
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Place (mount temporarily or whatever) a simple, convex lens in the beam path to modify the beam diameter. Your basic magnifying glass is a simple, convex lens. It is desirable to know the focal length of the lens but not all that important since shooting the laser beam through the lens will show you it's focal length, the distance from the lens that the beam becomes it's smallest diameter before it expands into a much fatter diameter beam.

    It is at or very near the modified beam's focal length that you want it to shoot through the lumia effect media. You also want the lumia's rotation rate to be very, very, very slow and a speed controller is highly desired. Shoot for a rotation speed of .1 to .25 rpm to start with. My bet is that the lumia pattern consist of small, round dimple-like impressions in the clear plastic or glass tube media.

    I haven't had a optical laser jig setup in eons but will see if I can whip something together and take pics and/or videos. Or if someone else can do so sooner than I can, that would be great.

    Cheers,
    Be damn. I found stuff I hadn't used in decades within just minutes and setup a crude demo of what I've been describing for one method to create the lumia effect mentioned by kecked.

    I'm attaching two still images showing the basic optical setup. In my example I used a 1.3" focal length simple lens to focus the beam to a small point at the point of contact with the back of the lumia disk (I also found in record time). The output of the lumia disk is projecting on an 8.5" x 11" piece of flat white printer paper at a distance of 6.75".


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpticalSetup-e.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	56569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens+LumiaDisk&Motor-e.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	56570

    I'll upload the video I took to my Youtube page and post here shortly. Here it is: https://youtu.be/widvhNOKJPY
    (apologies for the laser reflections in the video, but this was all a quickie and the phone camera was to the right of the laser, shooting at an angle.)

    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 05-18-2020 at 14:15.
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •