Thread: Diode mount problem

Default Diode mount problem

Diode mount hole little bit big and there is a small gap. not tight the diode and diode mount connection.
    How to reduce the gap? Is the aluminium foil is good solution?

Thank you,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190503_144730.jpg  

You could try silver foil but I wouldn't be too hopeful. It depends on how much heat you need to dissipate. You could try something like Arctic Silver but you won't be able to take the assembly apart again. If it's an expensive diode I wouldn't risk it, replace the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by helium View Post
    You could try silver foil but I wouldn't be too hopeful. It depends on how much heat you need to dissipate. You could try something like Arctic Silver but you won't be able to take the assembly apart again. If it's an expensive diode I wouldn't risk it, replace the mount.
    What is experience, which diode mounts is better? Who distributor have quality To9 and To18 mounts?

I have used diode mounts from Lasershow parts (Dave) quite a lot in the past. They're more expensive than the Chinese ones but top quality.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Lasershow-Parts

I agree. I use Dave’s mounts exclusively in my builds. I’ve never seen a poorly milled one. Reach out to him in PM if his website isn’t up. His username here is simply “Dave”.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

If you want to use this mount you could use a shim to hold it tight. I would buy a bit of brass shim stock which is available in various thickness as thin as .001 inches. Cut a strip the right width and wrap it around a small rod to get a smooth curved piece. Trim it so there is just one wrap around the diode.

Use indium foil the other silver metal

https://www.ebay.com/i/183435164339?...xoCawEQAvD_BwE

It's a bit gummy so it lets you mold it too.

Quote Originally Posted by helium View Post
    Glue it with 2 comp thermal epoxy to reduce the gap- Yes, you won't be able to extract diode but its the best option

I changed the the diode mount already, however thank you the many tips.