Thread: Another Old Soviet Educational Laser

Default Another Old Soviet Educational Laser

Here's one that has a unique feature. The 1982 LG-209 He-Ne includes a beam blocker that pulls off the front end by use of an antenna type extender. There's also a clear acrylic cover inside to allow safe observation of the laser's guts while in operation. The plasma tube was cracked so I didn't expect it to make the journey from Ukraine, and it didn't. I suppose I should've asked the seller to remove it for shipment, but that's hindsight. This laser is quite different than the 1980 LG-209 already in the collection. I'm so happy the Russians decided to include the dates on the lasers they made. Still, it's weird to see such different lasers with the same model numbers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soviet LG-209 1982.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	55571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soviet LG-209 1982 open.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	55572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soviet LG-209 1982 extended.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	55573

What a strange design. Dam shame the tube was broken.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ever hear of GOST? I bet some of the LG model numbers are ex Soviet "State Committee" designs adopted for production. As JSC Plasma and the company in Ukraine have a few overlapping models. So some GOST standards specified exact hardware, others specified the functionality and production quality and it was up to competing design bureaus and manufacturing plants to meet the goal however they could.

I've seen pictures of an ophthalmic Argon system that basically was a Nidek clone, right down to a very similar tube to the SP glass Argon. I'm not calling it a copy, as we all know that making the plasma tube was not that easy a task, even if you had one to look at.

A technical standard would often include sample or example plans for the device as a state standard. If you made it to the plans you called it a LG-xxx model, if you modified it, you either applied for another model number or re-labeled it.

Russian
    : ГОСТ , Is now Euro-Asian Council for Standardization, Metrology and Certification (EASC)
    , See WIKI for a really good explanation.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-11-2019 at 01:28.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Very nice found! I still have a similar LGN-109 laser which is still operational. I use it for alignment of other lasers. And yes, model numbers sometimes overlap and can belong to completely different laser systems. Like, LGI-201 can be both a small RF pumped He-Ne laser and a large CVL system.

I've seen pictures of an ophthalmic Argon system that basically was a Nidek clone, right down to a very similar tube to the SP glass Argon.
    Could you share it with me? I'm very interested in information about these as I couldn't find anything in the russian segment of the Internet. We have in Odessa here the Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy, which had a good laser lab that developed eye treating systems including Argon ones, but by the moment of my visit there all of them were scrapped and replaced with DPSS and OPSL systems.
    Last edited by Laserbuilder; 06-29-2019 at 12:07.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'm getting there:

From what I'm finding:

Names: Balyaeva, Saprykin, Filimonva Dates 1973, 1973
    OK-1 was the ruby ,model …

Find

Laser Applications in Medicine and Biology, Volume 3

Covers early Russian/Soviet Argon medical devices.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soviet Photocoagulator.png  

Last edited by mixedgas; 06-29-2019 at 18:39.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks a lot! The laser head #3 at the picture looks very similar to LGI-40 Xenon laser. Possibly its case and frame was used for more than one laser, except LGI-40.

Edit after viewing the book: right, this is exactly the LGI-40 Xe laser.
    Last edited by Laserbuilder; 06-30-2019 at 00:48.