Thread: Changing Laser Module

Default Changing Laser Module

Hi,

I have a pair of goldenstar projectors that are getting a bit long in the tooth. About 8 years old I think.

One of the projectors has an intermittent blue module and the other has a very dim green, in addition I feel they are only about half as bright as they used to be (but hard to tell).

Anyway, since the scanners are still good, I am considering getting a pair of the Goldenstar 1w RGB modules. With the idea that this would a cost effective way of giving these projectors a new lease of life.

Currently the projector has the following modules.

• 655nm 1w (Fat Beam)
    • 532nm 200mw
    • 447nm 800mw

These beams get fat pretty quick, and don't mix great, with the red being a lot wider than the rest.

I suspect that although half the rated power the newer 1w modal with look better and possibly outperform the current modules. Any Thoughts on this?

There is plenty of room in the projector,
    I am wondering the following:

1) Is this a worthwhile endeavor?
    2) Is there somewhere I can find information on what is involved? (I'm pretty handy at this sort of thing).
    3) Is anyone willing to help me, by giving me a bit of guidance and answering my stupid questions? (I promise to listen when you tell me something I don't want to hear).

Thanks for you help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64816758_328897961379879_4687011090440126464_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	55598

You're in luck because everything is going all-in-one these days.
    So it's really easy and cheap to buy a 3W+ RGB 'brick from a manufacturer like Goldenstar or Opt and just fit it.
    Be wary of going too big as you'll need to start thinking about heatsink baseplates, etc, but for 3-4W it'll be fine.
    You'll need to be able to accommodate the module with the plug out of the back, plus 3 drivers and the PSU they supply (or recommend)
    Only other thing you'll need is a steering mirror to bring the beam onto the scanners but they can sell you a 2 or 3 axis mount and first surface mirror at the same time.
    Then it's just a case of drilling and tapping holes and some thermal paste.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I may have posted pics on my FB page (in my signature) from when I replaced separate modules with 4W GS RGB a year or 2 back.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forward to doing this retro fit. It will be good to extend the life of the projectors.

Definitely worth the effort on your part. Now, Goldenstar is fiber correcting their diodes to achieve matching beam spec on all 3 colors. I would send them an email and ask for a 3w RGB fiber corrected module with tec drivers. That would be a huge upgrade for your projectors with not much effort or $$ on your part.
    Grant Kondourajian
    Owner/Operator