Thread: 1.2 watt diode TO-3 package

Default 1.2 watt diode TO-3 package

I have been pondering the thought of making a pointer of this guy as I have a MCA and optics on hand. I can make a heatsink for this. I would think that a simple driver of sorts could be fabbed up for the task. I am thinking of feeding it with 4, 1.5 v D cells in a flashlight case....Maglight. I have a test fixture with a TEC keeping it at 82deg F and it is producing close to 125 mw @ 1200maH. I would like to make it live running CW without heat problems. I guess I want a home-made Herculese{SP?} . I have a few small 25mm fans and could impliment one into the design. I had looked at building the driver from Sam's site that employs a 317 for current regulation....simple. I have the diode out again awaiting it's new mount and cooling device. This driver is capable of 800maH when it is kept cool. Any thoughts,suggestions? This project was started a few years ago and I want to finish it up. Oh BTW I have stumbled on to a nice shop that does powder coating very reasonably. I hope they have a good supply of black!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

What wavelength is it?

It is a 808nm diode and the output from the MCA is of course 532nm. The diode is rated for 1.5 watts and probably needs a TEC to keep it cool. This is what I want to build....or something very close to it for my own entertainment.

http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?hercules

I have the parts but would like input on cooling and driver choices.......

I was lending myself to this driver as it could be fitted neatly inside the unit....

http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/sho...rchResult.html

I know it's just a pointer.....but that is where it all started for me....well kindof. Actually a 635nm HeNe with a voltage inverter and a battery pack inside of a tightly packed case.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

635nm HeNe with a voltage inverter and a battery pack inside of a tightly packed case.
    Hey- same for me! It wouldn't have been an info-unlimited, would it?

I ordered the tube and power supply from meredith inst. Fabbed the case and inverter from of the shelf parts. Had a lot of fun , but the need for more power came quickly!

Yeah, the he-ne's dont cut it for too long. hehe.

My SP-125A seems to make me happy! 68mW is fun in a 0.5mm beam.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)