Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing: "The Radiator"

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    er ah, isn't "pps" = "points per second", where a "point" is a vector X,Y coordinate point within an image frame?
    What does kpps mean?

Kpps is the abbreviation of kilo point per second. Thus, the performance of the different scanners (galvanometer scanner, graphic projectors) which are on the market can be compared. The higher the scan speed of a graphic projector the higher the quality of the projected image. If the projected image “flickers”, then it is too “big” for the existing scanner, that means it has too many picture points and this scanner is not able to represent it properly. To make the performance of the scanner comparable ILDA developed a test pattern. This test pattern is used to determine among other things the exact scanner speed. The higher the number of 8° (!!!), for example 60 kpps @ 8°, the better the scanner and the better the projected image. 80 kpps @ 4° is in turn a worse achievement. Therefore you should always compare at 8° with the test pattern of ILDA.

point to point is a pass . POINTS PER SECOND ,PASSES PER SECOND ,potato potato. I didn't see the need to dazzle with brilliants, "like I have any" to help with the understanding with out all the GEEKANISE for a question asked by someone that only has a video projector and does and does not know the difference of Hz and Kpps so I kept it sweet and simple to help educate. In even simpler terms Hz and Pps are basically the same, HZ is peek to peek frequency in one second or point to point of a sine wave repeated in a given time frame. Pps having two points that get regenerated from point to point is peek to peek lower point highest point first point last point top of sinewave bottom of sine wave this just keeps it simple. for us laser heads and electronic wizards, this explanation is in adequate hence why I posted further info on Hz and Kpps which also stands for kilo packets processed in one second which has nothing to do with video projectors or laser projectors, thank God cuz that would have made thing confusing for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    What does kpps mean?

Kpps is the abbreviation of kilo point per second. Thus, the performance of the different scanners (galvanometer scanner, graphic projectors) which are on the market can be compared. The higher the scan speed of a graphic projector the higher the quality of the projected image. If the projected image “flickers”, then it is too “big” for the existing scanner, that means it has too many picture points and this scanner is not able to represent it properly. To make the performance of the scanner comparable ILDA developed a test pattern. This test pattern is used to determine among other things the exact scanner speed. The higher the number of 8° (!!!), for example 60 kpps @ 8°, the better the scanner and the better the projected image. 80 kpps @ 4° is in turn a worse achievement. Therefore you should always compare at 8° with the test pattern of ILDA.

point to point is a pass . POINTS PER SECOND ,PASSES PER SECOND ,potato potato. I didn't see the need to dazzle with brilliants, "like I have any" to help with the understanding with out all the GEEKANISE for a question asked by someone that only has a video projector and does and does not know the difference of Hz and Kpps so I kept it sweet and simple to help educate. In even simpler terms Hz and Pps are basically the same, HZ is peek to peek frequency in one second or point to point of a sine wave repeated in a given time frame. Pps having two points that get regenerated from point to point is peek to peek lower point highest point first point last point top of sinewave bottom of sine wave this just keeps it simple. for us laser heads and electronic wizards, this explanation is in adequate hence why I posted further info on Hz and Kpps which also stands for kilo packets processed in one second which has nothing to do with video projectors or laser projectors, thank God cuz that would have made thing confusing for me
    Nicer explanation. Accuracy counts even for newbies.

I've never heard the term Passes per second but it could be confused with "frame passes per second" to the unknowing or to us old farts. If the definition of a "pass" is the time to go from one point to the next point, then by that definition "passes per second" would be one-half of "points per second" since there are half as many "passes" in an image as there are points.

How about this: Put it simply, laser projected images create an image by moving the laser beam very quickly on a two dimensional surface or screen, using an old true and time-tested artistic method, that many of us enjoyed as very young children growing up, referred to as "connect-the-dot-drawings". The dots on a piece of paper are numbered, beginning at one, and incrementing by one to each dot that "hides" the true image. The image is revealed by connecting the dots in their numeric order buy using a pencil or similar writing implement to draw a line (or pass?) between each successive dot. It may be hard to believe but we were able to reveal the drawn image on paper this way WITHOUT FLICKER!

Happy Newstmas Everyone!

Default nicely said

Point made! I copied the def of Hz and pps and pasted, I do like yours better.
    thanks for the reeducation on simplicity.

Nicer explanation. Accuracy counts even for newbies.

I've never heard the term Passes per second but it could be confused with "frame passes per second" to the unknowing or to us old farts. If the definition of a "pass" is the time to go from one point to the next point, then by that definition "passes per second" would be one-half of "points per second" since there are half as many "passes" in an image as there are points.

How about this: Put it simply, laser projected images create an image by moving the laser beam very quickly on a two dimensional surface or screen, using an old true and time-tested artistic method, that many of us enjoyed as very young children growing up, referred to as "connect-the-dot-drawings". The dots on a piece of paper are numbered, beginning at one, and incrementing by one to each dot that "hides" the true image. The image is revealed by connecting the dots in their numeric order buy using a pencil or similar writing implement to draw a line (or pass?) between each successive dot. It may be hard to believe but we were able to reveal the drawn image on paper this way WITHOUT FLICKER!

Happy Newstmas Everyone!
    Unless I'm completely confused - if you do 600 points per second, you're doing 599 passes. It's a fence post thing...

“I have learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.” ~ Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics, 1965.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Default nicely said

maybe points covered in one second before recycling again from point X to point one?
    now i have to research this further be back in a min
    Last edited by Lasertize; 12-14-2020 at 13:54. Reason: double posted

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    maybe points covered in one second before recycling again from point X to point one?
    now i have to research this further be back in a min
    this is repeat of the Pps info off the internet, all sources have the same def

Show Laser Glossary, Definitions & Explanations

PPS

What does PPS stand for?

PPS means Points Per Second and describes the speed of show laser scanning systems. That's how many laser points per second can be displayed on walls and other suitable surfaces. The more PPS the better the scanning device of a laser projector and the smoother the laser graphics & animations are displayed.

Why is the scan speed in your Laserworld Shop characterized as kpps@8°ILDA?

kpps@8°ILDA is the most common way to describe the scan speed and makes it that different show laser projectos are comparable. kpps means thousand (kilo) points per second. @8°ILDA is the scan speed at a scan angle of 8°. The wider the scan angle, the slower the scan speed gets. But scan speed doesn't work linear, so you can't simply calculate scan speeds with other scan angles.

still in my eyes passes per second still fits. im asking my tech rep for his in put, I am awaiting his e-mail reply.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Unless I'm completely confused - if you do 600 points per second, you're doing 599 passes. It's a fence post thing...

“I have learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.” ~ Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics, 1965.
    phew! Are you saying an image point is like a fence post located in 2 dimensional space and therefore a pass is the act of going by a fence post? Who came up with this weird analogy?

If this isn't what you are saying, please explain this to me.

phew! Are you saying an image point is like a fence post located in 2 dimensional space and therefore a pass is the act of going by a fence post? Who came up with this weird analogy?

If this isn't what you are saying, please explain this to me.
    Oh. Hey I didn't start this pedantic - um - 'stuff'. It just when I see a error I point it out. So, no - paths per second isn't the same as 1/2 points per second. Why the hell somebody would create a "paths per second" thing eludes me, but hell, that's not unusual.

Ya start with points, because you're digital, and digital folks see analog as the very definition of hard... Then, let's write a 'standard' with 'language', and 'definitions', and maybe a few 'pretensions' and we can do trade shows, but maybe not the laser shows that started the whole f...ing thing... way back when.

But, hell, I'm not bitter.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Default wow

I'll Bet the person who asked the original question will probably never ask the forum again, NICE JOB GUYS!

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Oh. Hey I didn't start this pedantic - um - 'stuff'. It just when I see a error I point it out. So, no - paths per second isn't the same as 1/2 points per second. Why the hell somebody would create a "paths per second" thing eludes me, but hell, that's not unusual.

Ya start with points, because you're digital, and digital folks see analog as the very definition of hard... Then, let's write a 'standard' with 'language', and 'definitions', and maybe a few 'pretensions' and we can do trade shows, but maybe not the laser shows that started the whole f...ing thing... way back when.

But, hell, I'm not bitter.
    Hey, I resemble that remark. ;-) I'm just trying to understand a concept I've not heard before. btw: I started in the analog world and it is far easier.

Now you mention "paths" per second. Is that the same as passes per second? I only know of paths per second in terms of ray tracing.