Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Announcing: "The Radiator"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I'm very very pleased to announce the latest Radiator update is ready to go.

This is largely a bug fix and optimization update, although we have snuck some new features in.

The update process documentation (in the Radiator manual) and change log is available on our website:
    https://www.neoncaptain.com

There are a few really big things that I want to talk about:
    1) We've totally redone the output filter stage. The output filter helps protect scanners from large jumps that can be caused by ramp / square waves from the LFO's or other things.
    The filter mode is selected from the "Output" menu. I strongly recommend using the "Medium" filter, but test the filter settings with your projector and gauge the output quality vs. the scanner noise.

The changes in the output filter result in a huge quality boost in the Radiator's output. Both in scanning quality and in color modulation. This was a huge effort and it's really paid off. We've hit the butter zone and the Radiator has never looked better.

2) We've made some internal changes to how preset data gets saved (selective preset save works properly now). This may result in some of your existing presets looking weird. This is typically caused by one of the LFO's not being activated by the preset change, or by the LFO level being reset to 0%. Activate the LFO and / or reset the LFO output level and resave the preset. That will permanently solve the issue.

I will post an updated preset file with all the presets corrected in a few days, but we need to sleep. 😉

3) We've added ILDA input. Now you can pipe output from your laser system's DAC into the CV inputs on the Radiator. The Radiator treats the ILDA stream as just another shape from the shape generator. Any Radiator effect can be applied to the ILDA stream (size / rotation / color / blanking / 3d displacements, etc). Of course the Radiator will also generate a high quality HDMI video preview from the ILDA stream. To activate ILDA input on the Radiator, just turn the shape selector on Shape A or Shape B counterclockwise until the shape says "ILDA". If you want to use the original color data from the ILDA stream hit the "MOD ON" button in the color module and select "SRC 1" or "SRC 2" as the modulation type.

We will have the ILDA->CV adapter cables available for purchase in a small number of days. The pinout information is available in the Radiator manual.

I have included some video showing the smooth organic weirdness that the Radiator is now outputting. Too bad most of the quality is destroyed in filming. This video was made with the output filter set to "Medium" and a KVANT CM2k with Pangolin 506 galvos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ild2rad.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	57817
    Last edited by swamidog; 04-02-2021 at 09:54.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I know what I'll be tinkering with this weekend. Thank you all for your hard work!

What’s the availability of the Radiator/ turnaround time?
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    What’s the availability of the Radiator/ turnaround time?
    They're in stock. We ship from Montreal so it usually takes about a week to arrive at your door.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ok, thanks!, hoping to pick one up soon.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

ILDA input is a great feature, thanks for adding that. Might there be any current ability or future plan for recording the output?

Thank you for the update - I especially like the increase in gain on the shapes! Did you include an update on the shapes to include a 4 point square? No connecting dots in-between corners? I use this about as much as I do a basic circle for geometric patterns. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gjwinter View Post
    Thank you for the update - I especially like the increase in gain on the shapes! Did you include an update on the shapes to include a 4 point square? No connecting dots in-between corners? I use this about as much as I do a basic circle for geometric patterns. Thanks.

We talked it thought and are going to push it in a content pack update. I'm going go through and re-optimize the shape library so they display better at higher speeds.

NEW! Radiator ILDA to CV Cable

Radiator now supports ILDA input which allows any ILDA laser source to be processed using the various modules within Radiator. Warp, spin, twist and existing ILDA content. By using the ILDA In mode in one or both Shape generators you can input a standard XYRGB laser signal and use it as a shape source within any Radiator patch or convert ILDA to high quality 1080p hdmi video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilda cable.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	57844

https://www.neoncaptain.com/store/p8/ILDA2CV.html#/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    ILDA input is a great feature, thanks for adding that. Might there be any current ability or future plan for recording the output?
    ADAT captures it like a champ. LCADAT or LSX tools converts to frames
    leading in trailing technology