Thread: New Show - Takin' It Back

Default New Show - Takin' It Back

It's been a long time since I've posted but I recently pulled out my projector and produced some new content. I'm pretty pleased with how this came out (though the camera doesn't do it justice). The fast pace was a unique programming challenge. I wont ramble. Let me know what you think.

Also, for clarification, the seemingly random events near the beginning of the show are snapshots from previous shows I have produced.

Laser:

Kvant Clubmax 3000 (Saturn Scanners)

Scanned at 45-50 kpps, about 25 degrees

Programmed in Beyond

Filmed on a black screen (30 fps, 1/30 s exposures)
    Last edited by Glrock; 07-07-2019 at 09:32.

I like the use of dark masking and gradients. Some nice stuff in there. Music not my taste so I watched it without music. Was this output from beyond to video? Looks to be. Never looks right in video but well it can’t. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I like the use of dark masking and gradients. Some nice stuff in there. Music not my taste so I watched it without music. Was this output from beyond to video? Looks to be. Never looks right in video but well it can’t. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, glad you found it interesting. I'm aware that the music is a little out there but my aim was to experiment with something that hasn't been used (to my knowledge) in an abstract show before.

The video is live action. The projector was filmed on a black screen (dimmer/better contrast) and I used a little fog to create the scattering leading up to the image. I'm curious what you thought didn't look right about the video. Sure youtube compressed the video a little but I feel it's still accurate enough when compared to the live show. Did you watch it at 1080p?

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    Thanks, glad you found it interesting. I'm aware that the music is a little out there but my aim was to experiment with something that hasn't been used (to my knowledge) in an abstract show before.

The video is live action. The projector was filmed on a black screen (dimmer/better contrast) and I used a little fog to create the scattering leading up to the image. I'm curious what you thought didn't look right about the video. Sure youtube compressed the video a little but I feel it's still accurate enough when compared to the live show. Did you watch it at 1080p?
    The laser is not smooth and the colors are not smooth. Seeing laser in person is a very different experience. Also the occasional enhanced reality fake fog lines pop up. Best only using that for beam shows.

This IS NOT YOUR FAULT. It can't be done as video much better if at all. Don't sweat it. Should have kept my big mouth closed.

Gotta give it too you...

Another EDIT (2) people has since told me they also don't like the atmosphere so I guess I was wrong to use it. I was just trying to experiment and find something I thought looked interesting but I am certainly wrong at times.

No offense taken and thanks for the heads-up. The main reason I used it was to try and enhance the "perceived" color depth of the show since I found the beams created an illusion where the colors appeared richer than they actually were. This was mainly an attempt to get around Youtube's horrible compression that ruins laser show videos.

Thanks for the helpful post and see you at SELEM! (hopefully)
    Last edited by Glrock; 07-09-2019 at 20:45.

I generally only make comments that I feel are constructive. I however am very direct and maybe a bit too much so at times. We post this stuff because we are proud of it. All we really want to do is say see what I did I hope you feel as much joy about as I do.

trust me. I love everything I do like it’s a masterpiece until I see it again a month later. Then the oh god that sucks settles in because we are always cutting ourselves down. It at that point the real refining gets done.

Do what you like for you. As I was saying laser in video no matter what will never look right. Even when filmed directly it just looks wrong....but better.

Never stop creating and thanks for sharing. Please keep sharing. I look forward to seeing your work in person next month. Come find me.