Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2019 Presentation and Auditorium Schedules

Default SELEM 2019 Presentation and Auditorium Schedules

Please find below the draft SELEM 13 Presentation Schedule and Auditorium Show Schedule. As always, we have another exciting year of talks and content to show. I'm continually amazed by the wide variety of interesting talks that attendees take the time to prepare. Thanks to all of you in advance!

Several highlights:

Product and Software Focused Talks: We have several talks focused on bringing us information on laser related products and software including updates to DZ's Z-5 analog abstract console, the Wobulator lumia device, the immensely popular What's New at Pangolin, Laser Image Synth, LSX, the new Radiator digital abstract console, and more.

Droning On: A popular companion hobby for many of us laserists, we've got several events where we can learn and play. Sidenote: If you are interested in racing, bring your gear!

Getting High (without illegal substances):
    Chris Tate (lazerjock) will be flying his new Cessna to SELEM this year, weather permitting. If so, Chris is happy to take up anyone who would like to experience the joy of flying in a single-engine aircraft. Chris is a safe, meticulous, and fun pilot to fly with! If you are interested, please see him the day before for a brief intro. The only cost is the cost of fuel which can be split among up to three passengers. It ends up being the cheapest flight you'll take and a ton of fun!

Yoga: Yes, I said yoga. Dustin Derry took up yoga and it has done wonders for his health and he'd like to share his approach with you. It really is amazing and I think most of us could benefit from what he's been doing. Bring your mat each morning at 10AM. If you don't have one, Dustin has some loaners. Dustin will provide more information in response to this thread.

In the Auditorium: Wow, there's a lot going on this year. In addition to a wide range of graphics, beam, pre-choreographed abstract content from a wide range of laserists, we have an increased emphasis on live performances. The very popular Pink Floyd abstraction and beam shows that serves as the finale for the week will be supplemented by several other live shows. One even includes live cello music!

Club SELEM: More live lasering each evening than you could shake a glow-stick at! Tons of lasers, several consoles, live DJs, and beanbags for those of us who just want to watch luscious beams until late in the evening. See Rick H. (Hitecvoop) for coordination or questions.

Other Activities and Spaces: As always we have tons of fun side activities including DZ's Z-5 Console, a room dedicated to an FPV gaming environment, glow in the dark laser art, and lots of fun set-ups of people's various interests in the cafeteria.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM 13 Presentation Schedule Page 1 (Hardcopy version).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	55783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM 13 Presentation Schedule Page 2 (Hardcopy version).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	55784

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM 13 Auditorium Schedule Page 1 (Hardcopy version).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	55800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM 13 Auditorium Schedule Page 2 (Hardcopy version).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	55786

Again thanks to each of the participants. If I made errors or you would like modifications, please contact me directly via PM and we'll get you situated. If you aren't listed for a presentation or auditorium time-slot and wish to be, please let either Adam B. (Buffo) or I know ASAP.

Updates to follow as I receive them!

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 08-06-2019 at 04:43. Reason: Cha-cha-cha-Changes!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Stoked for yoga! Thanks Dustin!

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Yea, that is pretty cool that there is yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Same here. Been doing yoga once or twice a week for about a year now. This should be interesting!

Default Scanimate Presentation - This is a Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (REALLY!)

Hello All,

IMPORTANT - SEE UPDATE AT:
    https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...223#post350223

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************

As the title says "This is a Once in a Lifetime Opportunity" - Dave Sieg is a piece of living history as it pertains to vector graphics and analog imagery. Please make him feel welcomed into our group
    ALSO IMPORTANT: Feel free to show him what we have done to preserve this beautiful art form too!

I cannot stress this enough:
    If you are at SELEM 2019, you have the opportunity to interact with and ask questions to, a vector abstract electronics engineer, that still to this day keeps 2 systems running - and one who "patched" these marvelous custom image synths in a production AND experimental environment!
    The legacy for this graphics system is amazing: MANY music videos like "The Jackson 5", or "Earth Wind and Fire", Movies like "Star Wars", every TV network, "Sesame Street", Walt Disney Video and "The Disney Channel", and on and on...

Speaking for myself, as one of the early Laser Show System Design Engineers (working over 4 decades with analog and digital vector graphics engineering and laser systems), I can say this is / was the epitome of vector graphics, and a creative tool, producing images of what laser shows strive to be, and showcase the impact vector graphics offers.

The Scanimate System is the earliest form of abstract analog console for vector graphics (late 1960's). The imagery that the Scanimate System produced, has influenced many of the founders of the Laser Light Show Industry. When you see it, you will understand - For instance Ron Hays “Music Image Odyssey” (1979) is the essence of a multimedia Light Show with abstract analog vector graphics (see extended link below).

See my post here about the system (includes many links to get you informed):
    https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...655#post349655

Do not miss this presentation... Get your questions ready!
    Last edited by Lumia; 07-29-2019 at 04:48.
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

Quote Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
    Do not miss this presentation... Get your questions ready!
    I can not stress this enough: Do. Not. Miss. This.

I asked for the presentation slot right before the Scanimate presentation for the "Video Synthesis 101" presentation because they'll dovetail very nicely. I will be covering some analog video basics in-depth using modern equipment that is the direct descendent of the Scanimate, Rutt-Etra, and a few other historical analog image computer/processing systems. Hopefully, this will give everyone a little bit more background and appreciation for just how amazing these systems were (and still are!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByQ5WTvn...ns_share_sheet

This is indeed looking to be an epic year. Look at what you all started and what this has grow into. Proud and privileged to attend. Thank you for setting fire to the laser art world with emphasis on ART.
    I posted a message a year back saying where has innovation gone....it's back. This is a like historic old meets new meets synthesis. What I like about this community is that it doesn't discount the old but instead embraces it and then makes it a part of the new creation rather than a jonbar hinge where its one way or the other.

Who's running the Laserdock demo on Wednesday?

This is going to be a jam packed year of some amazing demos and shows. I can't wait.

To Marc's point, this is indeed shaping up to be an epic year. We are on track to break the record for most people registered. Which means we might also break the record for most waivers signed (that number includes guests and venue staff).

Crazy to think back to that weekend in 2007 when there were just 23 of us. And who could forget people on stage shouting "3... 2... 1... CLICK!" so we could synchronize our projectors?!

Adam