Thread: FS/FT: CNI 532nm Module --- 400mW?

Question FS/FT: CNI 532nm Module --- 400mW?

So I have been out of the laser hobby for about 4 years now, but I saw on a visit to 'the-other-laser-forum' that 488nm diodes were out. Since that was my favorite wavelength back when I had my Argon, I figured I would try to sell some stuff to make some funds to build a 488nm presentation laser. In my storage drawers of what laser stuff I had left I found a antistatic bag with the words 400mW 532nm CNI written on it. I am not sure when/where I got it, and I don't have the stuff to test it. It appears to lack a driver, so one would need to be sourced from CNI, DTR, or custom made, and it appears to not include a collimation lens. I reached out to DTR to find out what my best bet is to sell it/find out what its worth and he recommended to pop in over here.

I am curious. Suppose that it is fully functional, albeit not having a driver or lens, what would this module be worth? What would be the best steps to sell it considering I lack any sort of bench supply? Middle man? Pictures are below. Considering my time away from the hobby, the most use it would probably serve me is if I made it into a desk ornament but that seems like it would be a travesty to do that to a CNI module.

I know I never had much of a presence here, but I was highly active over at the 'other forum' under the username IsaacT(i was always a pointer/portable guy, never got into projectors), if anyone wants to check up on me. I'm not looking to scam anyone, which is why I want to figure out the right way to go about selling it.

Thanks,
    IsaacT

If it didn't have a heater and thermistor for the KTP, a simple driver would be fine but without a matching driver and or specs to build one, I'm afraid it isn't going to be worth much. Outside of a replacement core for someone's CNI module of the same power, the price drop on everything is probably going to make this not worth someone's time. The direct diode greens, cheaper OPSLs (they still have a way to go), and just the flooding of 532s on the market, all are pushing the prices down. Not saying it's worthless, just saying that a specific person is going to want this before you offload it.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

That is fantastic information! Not exactly the best news for me, but I would never have known about those features and that the driver would need to be built for that. Would all of the 532's of the same power from CNI have the same driver or would each have been custom made for each module? If they would all be the same I might could reach out to CNI. If they would have all been custom it might not even be worth my own time trying to pursue it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLasers View Post
    That is fantastic information! Not exactly the best news for me, but I would never have known about those features and that the driver would need to be built for that. Would all of the 532's of the same power from CNI have the same driver or would each have been custom made for each module? If they would all be the same I might could reach out to CNI. If they would have all been custom it might not even be worth my own time trying to pursue it lol.
    It's not custom to each laser head. The only thing I can see being "custom" would potentially be the driving current for the KTP heater which is done when the laser is built and tuned for maximum efficiency. It's surprising how much the laser output can vary depending on the temperature of the KTP crystal.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

$40? Might find an use for it

I will, sent you a PM celas