Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining Glow in the Dark Art with Traditional Laser Graphics . . and more

Default Combining Glow in the Dark Art with Traditional Laser Graphics . . and more

Hey folks,

Several threads in the past week have discussed advancing the laser art form. In that light, I wanted to share something that I've spent hundreds of hours working on over the past year - how to successfully combine traditional RGB graphics with glow in the dark laser art. Easy you say?? I thought so too. As it turns out, seeing glow in the dark art which is still dim even with the best glow in the dark paint along with highly saturated RGB graphics is quite challenging.

After a lot of experimenting I started making the GITD art the static background elements and very low level graphics lasering combined with lots of masks. Thanks to low-power single-mode diodes, excellent diode drivers from BBE, I was able to successfully get consistent gray levels under 5mw, which is necessary to combine these elements. Capturing dim GITD along with RGB graphics on camera is even more challenging. Even when it looks good in person, it is really hard to film. I spent quite a while working away at the filming challenges with input from Swamidog who knows oodles more than I do when it comes to videography (and probably just about everything else).

Here is my attempt to capture all of this with a beamshow, traditional graphics with duo 60Kpps content (thanks to Pangolin), and lumia thrown in for good measure. I'm not terribly happy with how the video capture worked out, but I'm getting better . . slowly. This show utilizes all 18 projectors I currently have installed in the disco, several of which are doing double-duty as graphics, GITD, lumia and/or beams. The show itself is written in LSX. I hope you enjoy.

and in Vimeo if YouTube blocks it:

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mind.gif 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	55685

so you're bringing that entire setup to SELEM, right?

Quote Originally Posted by aberry View Post
    so you're bringing that entire setup to SELEM, right?
    It would be easier to bring you to my house, Andrew!

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Well, you are doing far better then the old days when that was done in public with a UV All Lines Argon (351, 363, other weaker lines) large frame. 3-4 Watts of UV with the tube overdriven to higher powers for short periods of time...
    Brian used brighter, short persistence phosphors with different wavelengths, though. UV Argon lines are triply ionized instead of doubly ionized like the blue-green lines, so you have do drive the snot out of the tube to get them.

Still, wow....

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-17-2019 at 12:21.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Bravo! very cool.

Oh. My. God!

if you don’t win an award for that I don’t know what you could do to win.

oh. MY GOD......

innovative, interesting, fresh, captivating.

Mind blown.

I think you've invented an entirely new laser art form.

David seeing your shows develop over the year has been a real privilege for me. This show is over the top with interesting elements. I could not make a show like this. I do not have the time or the patience to put in the kind of details you do. Not to mention the fact that you have to program a track for each of the 18 projector. What you are doing borders insane. My hope for you is that your detailed GITD art makes it way to the main stream public so that all can enjoy what I enjoy sitting in your house. Great work buddy keep it up.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Thanks for the REALLY, REALLY generous comments, guys. I probably spent way too much time on this effort as I'm a slow worker, but it was fun to do. Perhaps it fits under, 'if you throw enough shit at the wall, eventually something will . . glow(?)'

In more general terms, there are several amateurs represented in this community that are doing some really cool stuff. Artistically we've seen fantastic, award-winning work from Swamidog, Saltyrobot, Kang and others. Invention-wise, we've got the likes of DZ, Ekeefe, elmood, Swamidog, bluefang, BBE, and many others. I believe those who say this industry has stagnated and its best days are behind it haven't spent enough time looking at what's new.

Bottom line, I am proud to be part of a community that makes wonderful contributions often with a great sacrifice of their time and perhaps some blood and/or brain cells.

Thanks again!

-David

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you said "swamidog" twice... what, did he slip you a fiver?

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Thanks for the REALLY, REALLY generous comments, guys. I probably spent way too much time on this effort as I'm a slow worker, but it was fun to do. Perhaps it fits under, 'if you throw enough shit at the wall, eventually something will . . glow(?)'

In more general terms, there are several amateurs represented in this community that are doing some really cool stuff. Artistically we've seen fantastic, award-winning work from Swamidog, Saltyrobot, Kang and others. Invention-wise, we've got the likes of DZ, Ekeefe, elmood, Swamidog, bluefang, BBE, and many others. I believe those who say this industry has stagnated and its best days are behind it haven't spent enough time looking at what's new.

Bottom line, I am proud to be part of a community that makes wonderful contributions often with a great sacrifice of their time and perhaps some blood and/or brain cells.

Thanks again!

-David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.