Thread: Looking for help writing about photonics (not an engineer)

Default Looking for help writing about photonics (not an engineer)

Newbie here,

I'm headed to San Diego to the SPIE optics and photonics conference and want to understand a few things + create a bit of content for marketing purposes (I'll be offering software that is not engineering-related hence why I don't have specific expertise), I found this forum and thought I'd reach out to see if anyone would be willing to help (I'll buy you breakfast at the show if you'd like, or send a gift card if you aren't going)

I don't want to distract from your technical discussions with my self serving sales/marketing needs so don't worry I won't insist or spam, at the very list I find some of the threads here informative and in that sense the photolexicon community has already helped me.

Any takers?
    Last edited by mathieu; 07-22-2019 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu View Post
    I'm headed to San Diego to the SPI optics and photonics conference and want to understand a few things
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

Wanting "to understand a few things" is a bit vague. What sort of information are you looking for, specifically? And what sort of software will you be selling?

Assuming that you're looking for either general industry knowledge or something specific to lasers, laser projectors, or laser shows, then you might want to consider attending SELEM. It will be held the week prior to the SPIE Optics and Photonics conference. See this thread for details.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

Wanting "to understand a few things" is a bit vague. What sort of information are you looking for, specifically? And what sort of software will you be selling?

Assuming that you're looking for either general industry knowledge or something specific to lasers, laser projectors, or laser shows, then you might want to consider attending SELEM. It will be held the week prior to the SPIE Optics and Photonics conference. See this thread for details.

Adam
    Thank you for the welcome and the SELEM pointer, probably won't attend in person this year but will follow on twitter (and here).

As far as the things I'm trying to understand:
    - Industry dynamics (how many OEMS, how deep of a value chain? (automotive like with n-Tiers, or simpler?)
    - Segmentations, I've seen a few ways to cut the market (by application (health, telco, et.) by technology (laser, RF, etc.)) but haven't heard it in person yet or understand what's more common
    - Current attitude towards open innovation (I saw SPIE + Chesbrough launched open-photonics a few years ago)

Our software, which we intend to make free for the photonics and optics industry (well "Freemium", whereas other industries are paid-only), is a patent search engine and analytics tool, with an orientation towards connecting companies (i.e. quickly move towards IP commercialization or licensing vs just analysis for the sake of analysis)

I think you may have seriously over-estimated the size of the laser projector / laser show software market. That, or you're actually looking at the entire laser product market, of which laser projectors are just a tiny part of.

This forum's primary focus is on lasers used for light shows. Given the small size of that market, I honestly don't think your patent search software will be nearly as useful as it would otherwise be for - say - the surgical laser market, or the industrial laser market. In our little corner there are but a few manufacturers, and as a general rule they already know each other.

I'll defer to some of the industry experts here for the finer details if you would like to dive deeper into this. But I don't see a lot of opportunities for collaboration on the laser light show side of things.

Adam

PS: Another big market to consider would be the use of lasers to replace traditional non-coherent light sources for either commercial video projectors or commercial intelligent stage lighting fixtures. But again, that's not an industry that is well-represented here.

Thanks that clears up a lot, we're actually targeting the entire photonics and optics market, so well beyond the laser for light show market. I had no idea this forum has this particular focus

I'll just show myself out, definitely not what i intended haha

Best,

Please feel free to stick around and participate in discussions as you wish. Just wanted to let you know that, for the specific information you're after right now, there are probably better sources available.

Adam