Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any hope for higher power diodes on the near future?

Default any hope for higher power diodes on the near future?

Hey all. I found a link to this forum by googling "Tech Ingredients". Some of you probably know the person behind the channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/TechIngredients
    I'm not a laser expert nor do I do laser shows professionally but I have built few laser projectors following his guides on Youtube.

I've noticed that in the last few years the advancements in high power visible light laser diodes has become somewhat stagnant. I am able to overdrive the Red to 1W, green to 1W and have a disbalanced 7W blue. It's a shame the red and greens are lacking behind and I don't have the necessary budget and knowledge to explore DIY DPSS green and red modules.

is there any hope we will see higher power red and green diodes in the near future?

Well for those of us that started with ion and were over the hill about 35mw of red and 100mw total green and blue....

Even having blue and green diodes AT all is beyond cool. Be grateful.

My last hold outs are yellow 575 diodes and then true orange 610.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhrgd View Post

is there any hope we will see higher power red and green diodes in the near future?
    There's always hope, but there are some technical challenges to overcome- the biggie being heat dissipation. You can always get more light out of a semiconductor laser by throwing more current at it, and it will happily oblige until it goes into thermal self-destruction. In general, heat dissipation is an issue for ALL semiconductor devices that handle substantial power...it's the same issue overclockers have to deal with: how to remove A LOT of heat from a very small area as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    and then true orange 610.
    You should be able to shift a single mode 638nm red down to ~610nm if you can keep it at -80˚C
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I can also pump a dye laser with an excimer. though your idea is a little more practical.

... I'm waiting on "quantum-dot nano-laser-arrays" to hit the real world -- there are some prototypes, but seems to need some years more to get them out

They have some really interesting features -- one of them ist the "tunability" to any colour you want

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    You should be able to shift a single mode 638nm red down to ~610nm if you can keep it at -80˚C
    that's just silly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PquJdIK_z8

I like you. Welcome.

Great vid!

Eric did some good work in this area:

------------------------------------------------------------------

I did something a lot less extreme a while back:

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hey all. I found a link to this forum by googling "Tech Ingredients". Some of you probably know the person behind the channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/TechIngredients
    That's Eric Meyers, AKA "Planters" here on the forum. Unfortunately he hasn't posted anything on PL in several years.

I am able to overdrive the Red to 1W, green to 1W and have a disbalanced 7W blue.
    There are a few options for you to get more red and green. First, you can combine a pair of beams using a polarizing beam-splitting cube. You can either rotate one of the didoes 90 degrees in the mount relative to the other one, or you can use a 1/4 waveplate to rotate the polarization of one of the beams by 90 degrees. Either way, this is a fairly easy solution that will almost double your power.

To get even more power you'll need to look into "stacking" multiple beams close together using a "knife-edge mirror" technique. Search on the forum and you'll find several threads talking about this. It's a real pain to align, but if done right you can easily stack 4 beams together and still get a clean output. (Read up on spacial filtering and pinhole filters, and realize that you'll need lots of extra optics to make this work well.)

And of course by combining the two techniques above you can get up into very high power levels.

I don't have the necessary budget and knowledge to explore DIY DPSS green and red modules.
    No need to build your own. These days commercial DPSS green modules are quite affordable, even though they're not ideal for light show use. Note that DPSS red is mostly a non-starter, as 671 nm is really too deep of a red to be useful.

It's possible that we will see new, higher power diodes in the future, but the beams will be so fat that we won't want to use them. There are a few red laser diodes available now that produce 3 or more watts from a single diode, but the beam is the size of a golf ball. Not any good for a laser projector, but not bad for a laser-illumination-source for either a television or a movie (cinema) projector.

The problem is that the laser projector market is tiny, so there's no real way to recover the huge development costs needed to bring a new, high-power laser diode with awesome beam specs to the marketplace. (The broader market of laser products that need tight beams is already well-served by existing technologies, for the most part.)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-31-2019 at 05:04. Reason: typo