Thread: Satori Dye Laser

Default Satori Dye Laser

Recent ebay aquisition. This laser looks very similar to the 700 series dye laser with the dual jet setup. There is also decidedly little info anywhere on this unit, except for the occasional "google archived" scientific paper. I contacted Coherent and they said there wasn't any documents available in their "archives". If anybody has any docs on this laser that would be great. I only have the head, no other components were included. On the bright side, all the optics are present and intact. Without the manuals I don't have enough knowledge to know if this laser is usable in for the capacity that it was designed for. From what I can tell it was designed to be pumped by a coherent antares system. Maybe the lab over at University of Iowa has the documents i need, and the other components!! I don't think they want to help me out though. So begins the scavenger hunt...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satori_5.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	55793 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satori_new-2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	55794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satori_new3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	55795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satori_4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	55796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satori_new1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	55797

I'm pretty sure Steve is going to have something on this or at least a source to get documentation.

Certain lasers tickle my fancy based on their concept and build. For instance, I love helium-cadmium lasers for no other reason than the glasswork on them is super intricate, like something out of a Frankenstein lab. Dye lasers, on the other hand are fascinating just by theory of operation alone although, the multitude of optics and kinematics make the laser damn sexy.

Awesome find. I hope you can find the documentation you're looking for to get this running!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Have you been seeing that Coherent Antares systems on Ebay for >$800? The LF Buyers Guide for 1993 confirms that's the pump source.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Coherent-...kAAOSwpw1ahiEx
    Last edited by Eidetic; 08-04-2019 at 07:23.

Yes. I have talked with the seller. Those are good looking systems and with the mode lockers which is a plus. Hopefully I will be able to get them in a few weeks. I still need to figure out what all the other sockets go to on the end of the head. There is one harness coming off the module on the front of the head that connects to one of the sockets on the other end. It actually plugs into both the position sense socket and the photodiode, I’m guessing it’s the photodiode. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Mixedgas stays away from those dye monsters after spending a week trying to align one from scratch with no manual and with some mirrors moved along the rail to where they did not belong. The difference between that laser and a 699 or 899 family is the addition of active intracavity optics to aid in mode locking and a high speed photodiode. A mode locked laser pumped from another mode locked laser often needs its cavity round trip time tuned to match the pump . If it has the fine tuning galvo you need a way of driving the galvo, too..

Warning, other then the pump beam aiming optics, don't touch a single adjustment on that cavity, unless you like pain. I did not have the benefit of the week long owner's training at the factory on how to align/operate those. Odds are by handling it, its already out of fine alignment and well on its way of loosing course alignment.

The dye laser will run off a CW pump with the right optics set installed and enough pump power. Plus there were multiple optics sets for different dyes or wavelength regions. So unless you know what dye type it was ordered for, you may find yourself struggling ...\

If you buy an Antares, see it run before purchase. Or make sure the pump lamp cavity has 100% intact gold, not etched away by the cooling water. make sure the arc lamp clips are not ruined by the DI water. Antares is not a beginers level YAG..

Trade the darn dye thing to Laser Innovations for a 599 OEM Medical dye head or sp 375 . That way a 5-7 watt DPSS Green with a tight beam can get you past threshold for R6G dye. Those 599 are complex enough as it is, but better a high energy 599 with a four mirror cavity then a infinitely complex mode locked head to learn on. For MODE LOCKING you will need a 500 Mhz 0r 1 Ghz oscilloscope just to see if he laser is properly adjusted.

YLF slowly dissolves in it's cooling water... So odds of YLF being good or at full power after decades is poor. Round here, with clean water, YLF gets replaced every 2-3 years.

Steve (I've taken more then one Antares to its funeral at the dump, You could not give me a working one for free, great laser, but NO parts available ANYWHERE )

No I do not have the manuals anymore, except for the 599, and there is a scan of that archived on PL. It will not help you with the big monster. I helped Jon Singer (Joss Labs) get a 599 OEM going with a borrowed DPSS 532 pump and it took him weeks of spare time, for a few hundred microwatts of CW dye. He was just above threshold with a 3.2 watt DPSS. His blog on it is out there some where... BTW< when 40 PSI of Dye goes wrong, its called a mess, and if you have a wife, it may be called a Divorce....
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-06-2019 at 09:34.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Well it’s as I feared after this last response. Time to throw in the towel on this one. Anybody want a heavy orange boat anchor complete with unknown optics?? I’ll just put it back on eBay. I need to stay away from that site. Maybe it could go to the laser museum along with the rest of the coherent dye lasers I have. Suspended in solid lucite with the pumps and dye tubes full of R6G.