Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: ISO broken laptop batteries

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default ISO broken laptop batteries

    Hey fellas, I bought a motor for my bike that I'm converting to an ebike and I need to make a battery pack for it. So to keep things from getting too expensive I want to use batteries that I can harvest from bad/unwanted laptop batteries.

    If anyone has a source for these or have some they don't want let me know. I made a craigslist post for it too. My build needs 296 batteries so I gotta do a lot of searching.

    My craigslist post can be seen here https://albany.craigslist.org/wan/d/...419443378.html

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    972

    Default

    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

    New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW


    Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Of course I looked at ebay. I need to do this as cheap as possible which is why I need a good source for bad laptop batteries. I'd rather harvest my own but if I can't find a good source I'll have to go with ebay which is what I'm trying to avoid.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144-18650-S...QAAOSwdG9aLpKv
    Last edited by Shadow; 12-11-2017 at 13:00.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Try your local electronics stores. They usually have containers full of e-waste, probably with some laptop batteries too. If you ask nicely they might let you search through it and take what you want. Or your local recycling center may have some.
    LaserShowGen - Freemium Laser show editor and player: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-creation-tool
    Helios - Low cost, open source DAC: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...e-low-cost-DAC

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Try your local electronics stores. They usually have containers full of e-waste, probably with some laptop batteries too. If you ask nicely they might let you search through it and take what you want. Or your local recycling center may have some.
    That's a really good idea. I'll look around for some electronic repair shops and see what they have. Thanks man.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Authentic Asian food area of SoCal
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    You might also want to look for Li-ion tool batteries too. Most of the time, cordless tool battery packs use the same cells that you'll find in laptop battery packs. Most of these battery packs have a charging circuit in the pack that can go bad, rendering the battery pack useless but the battery cells are still okay.

    e.g.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P103_left.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	53317

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Churchill(hour S from Houston)
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    CONTACT (many) PC repair shops & ask them to save some----take care w/harvesting--easy to short. and not all will be worth using..
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin & ILDA Member

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    You might also want to look for Li-ion tool batteries too. Most of the time, cordless tool battery packs use the same cells that you'll find in laptop battery packs. Most of these battery packs have a charging circuit in the pack that can go bad, rendering the battery pack useless but the battery cells are still okay.
    You know I never even considered that. Thanks Absolom, that's really going to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    CONTACT (many) PC repair shops & ask them to save some----take care w/harvesting--easy to short. and not all will be worth using..
    Thanks Len for thinking about my safety. I've harvest them in the past and I found that at most 2 cells were bad. Now that I think about it I better get a testing circuit to make sure the batteries are as close to similar capacity as possible before I put them in parallel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    41

    Default

    From your craigslist post it looks like you're pretty close to RPI - try dropping by the campus computing center (the cathedral near the middle south end of the campus, aka the church of computer science) and take the stairs near the door down to the basement. The campus computer repair shop is down there and they have a big battery recycling bin, and they were always happy to give us as many dead batteries as we wanted to take. When I was a student, the default option for thinkpads purchased through the campus computing program was the high capacity 9 cell pack, so you can get quite a few usable cells from them. My friends and I used to drop by almost every week and the only times there weren't any batteries left is when someone else had beaten us to them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    From your craigslist post it looks like you're pretty close to RPI - try dropping by the campus computing center (the cathedral near the middle south end of the campus, aka the church of computer science) and take the stairs near the door down to the basement. The campus computer repair shop is down there and they have a big battery recycling bin, and they were always happy to give us as many dead batteries as we wanted to take. When I was a student, the default option for thinkpads purchased through the campus computing program was the high capacity 9 cell pack, so you can get quite a few usable cells from them. My friends and I used to drop by almost every week and the only times there weren't any batteries left is when someone else had beaten us to them.
    Is this it? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-73.6823919

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •