Thread: Old Classroom He-Ne, 10th Anniversary

Default Old Classroom He-Ne, 10th Anniversary

In about a week it'll be the 10th anniversary of my posting about old lasers here, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. My sincere thanks for the reception, comments, and interest from the membership, and for your tolerance of the style of some of my off-topic inputs.

Best way for me to celebrate ten years of vintage lasers on PL is to post a real nugget I've been seeking all that time and just found. Shown below is a 1971 Optics Technology Inc. model 170 He-Ne classroom laser. I love the groovy design of the case. The tube featured internal mirrors which were aligned by gently pushing in two directions at one end. No magnets or resistors near the tube, no interlocks, a start position on the power switch ... yeah, it's "vintage". For eventual display, I have the manual, a spare plasma tube, and a few pictures from old books and magazines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OTI-170.jpg  

OTI-170 rear.jpg  

OTI-170 inside.jpg  

OTI-170 Manual.jpg  

OTI-170 Plasma Tube.jpg  

Last edited by Eidetic; 08-25-2019 at 07:58.

I bet it still lazes

Default Hahahahahah

I would take that bet. Those tubes were lucky to last the warranty or 50 hours use.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Default Vintage Optics HeNe

This one just popped up on ebay,might be lasing too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Opt...oAAOSwRrNdZF0V

Default OK.....

Ok good tip! Not lasing but it was re-gassed long ago and still at least lights up! Thanks! Phil

Amazing how these things work. I know that whenever I'm forced to be away from scanning the web for a day, that's when something cool will show up. If you want it to rain, plan a picnic. This is the case yesterday when I was busy all day with a visit from fellow holographer and PL lurker Ed Wesly from Chicago. And there it is, another OTI-170 on Ebay with a heads-up here.

In my Facebook post about recently acquiring one, I mentioned I've only seen one other (might sell it in the future), heard about a second (won't sell it), and caught a rumor about a third. The one sold yesterday from a Phoenix seller is that third one. five years ago, when I bought another laser system from him, he told me he had a "small blue one" and described it. I told him it was a nugget, and should call me if he found it. I guess he finally did.

Murphy's Law. I'm super happy it's in good hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Amazing how these things work. I know that whenever I'm forced to be away from scanning the web for a day, that's when something cool will show up. If you want it to rain, plan a picnic. This is the case yesterday when I was busy all day with a visit from fellow holographer and PL lurker Ed Wesly from Chicago. And there it is, another OTI-170 on Ebay with a heads-up here.

In my Facebook post about recently acquiring one, I mentioned I've only seen one other (might sell it in the future), heard about a second (won't sell it), and caught a rumor about a third. The one sold yesterday from a Phoenix seller is that third one. five years ago, when I bought another laser system from him, he told me he had a "small blue one" and described it. I told him it was a nugget, and should call me if he found it. I guess he finally did.

Murphy's Law. I'm super happy it's in good hands!
    Well you usually scoop Sam and I on stuff like this Bob so it is only fair once in awhile we get a little lucky. I think this may be the laser to try a Helium soak on......it is shipping to Sam. Hope it arrives unbroken and he takes some nice pictures of it lit up. Best, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 142laser View Post
    Well you usually scoop Sam and I on stuff like this Bob so it is only fair once in awhile we get a little lucky. I think this may be the laser to try a Helium soak on......it is shipping to Sam. Hope it arrives unbroken and he takes some nice pictures of it lit up. Best, Phil
    Would a He3 soak be better? Just asking.

Default $$$$$

Probably but the cost is $$$$$$ Vs common Helium! Why do you have 20L?

10 liters. And I’m hoarding it.