Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2020 possible date change - discuss!

Swamidog has been hanging out a lot on our discord group lately so I can imagine how difficult it would be to not have him at the 2020 Selem. This looks like a tough decision. I'm not sure there can be one without sacrificing something one way or another.

On the contrary, at this point I think it's become a rather easy decision. Going with the original dates is best for *us*, and that's what is most important.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I can talk to you about this on Tuesday but, thought I'd put it here too. Would you still consider doing the Soldiers Reunion Fest the weekend after SELEM if there were enough people available to come back to town and work the show? My thought is, the Fort Mill contingent is close by. I'm likely to be able to come back to North Carolina the following weekend and, there may be others that can as well. And even you're not *that* far. If we do decide this is viable, maybe gear can be safely stored somewhere in Newton for a week rather than drag it home and drag it back. Even perhaps something like the Trotthouse letting you let you leave your trailer parked there for the week - which would cut down on your gas costs.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Would you still consider doing the Soldiers Reunion Fest the weekend after SELEM if there were enough people available to come back to town and work the show?
    That's an interesting idea.!.

We wouldn't have nearly as much help to set up the equipment or tear it down, but we'd also have no real time constraints either, so I think that would be a wash. I'm thinking that you, me, and Jason could probably do this by ourselves if we absolutely had to, but having a few more helping hands would make it a lot easier. I guess it boils down to a question of what everyone else wants to do and whether anyone is interested in returning to Newton that following weekend.

But yeah, I can probably make this happen. I know that Ingrid Keller will be pleased as hell if we do this, and I'm sure Anne Steadman will love the idea as well. Note, however, that the town lost their biggest sponsor last fall, so I don't know if they'll have any money in the budget to pay us now. (Not that we ever made much money anyway, but it was nice to get enough to cover the cost of an extra night or two at the Trotthouse at least.) It's not a big deal for me, because it's only a 4 hr drive from Charleston. But you are looking at nearly 9 hrs one-way... You sure you're up for that?

If we do decide this is viable, maybe gear can be safely stored somewhere in Newton for a week rather than drag it home and drag it back.
    Good idea. Storage shouldn't be a problem; if not at the Trotthouse then I'm sure we could work something out with the Auditorium. We don't need all the gear to stay in Newton though; maybe just the tripods, foggers, cables, computers, screen, and projectors? If I can ensure it will all fit in the Jeep without having to bring the trailer, then I could take the trailer home with me and "travel light" (sans trailer) for the outdoor show the following week.

How many other people would be willing to return to Newton the weekend after SELEM to do another outdoor laser show in downtown Newton with the Western Piedmont Symphony Orchestra? Please reply below with your thoughts...

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    But you are looking at nearly 9 hrs one-way... You sure you're up for that?
    While I'm not as young as I used to be, remember, I've driven to Charlotte and back towing a trailer to drop something off on the same day. It's actually between 7.5 and 8 hours on a good day but, who's counting? And as I still expect to be semi-retired... what's time?
    PM Sent...

Seems as though we have started something:
    https://laserspectacular.com/tour-dates%2Ftickets

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Seems as though we have started something:
    https://laserspectacular.com/tour-dates%2Ftickets

Is this anyone from PL?
    leading in trailing technology

Back in the day, when it was still called "The Paramount Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular", it was Ryan Waters at the helm. Bill Benner introduced a bunch of us to Ryan back in 2008 when we went to see the show in Orlando. Great stuff! But I don't know who is running the show now that Paramount has pulled out. It might still be Ryan, or it could be someone else.

Either way though, I'm sure it's still a hell of a show to watch.

Adam

EDIT: This is the show they were talking about when they said that they didn't want us to do a public event in the Auditorium last year because they had already booked a different "commercial laser show" and didn't want to compete with it. But they said that we could do something this year in August if we wanted, and I'm working on making that happen.

I've seen this show last year in NJ. It's pretty good.

But not SELEM After Midnight good.

The "SELEM after midnight" show is exactly what we want to do for the general public this year.

Adam