Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2020 possible date change - discuss!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I値l see the Paramount show next Saturday here in Wilmington. I値l let you know what it痴 like these days.
    PM Sent...

Default I値l Be There And Willing To Help!

Whether you do both, I値l be there to help. If it痴 a return trip or a two week stay over! Never been to SELEM but I MUST now. I don稚 have the equipment you folks have but I知 honest, trustworthy and able bodied to provide help with the load ins, set ups and load outs! Going to search the site now to find the enrollment page and get enrolled. I知 skipping satellite 2020 this year so this will be by far more worth it I知 sure! Happy Lasing to all you GURUS who I hope to be my mentors! Wishing all of you and your families a blessed, happy, healthy and prosperous year this 2020! Mark Erney

Quote Originally Posted by markerney View Post
    Going to search the site now to find the enrollment page and get enrolled.
    Hello Mark,
    You won't regret it. SELEM is a great event with great people.

Adam hasn't started a sign up thread yet. You can just check back in the Laser Meet-n-Greet section. You will see SELEM 2020 Sign-up thread. SELEM takes place in August so you have plenty of time. I would get a room at the Holiday Inn Conover shortly after the thread is started. That is where a majority of the people stay.

Adam has a detailed write up he does every year. If you look at the first post for SELEM 2019 sigh-up thread you will get the idea.

Welcome!

Chris

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Official signup thread usually is posted beginning of April so, not long to wait now. Glad you found the thread Mark!
    PM Sent...

I try to get the sign-up thread posted by the end of March, but sometimes it slips to April. This year once again we're waiting for confirmation from the school. They're talking about turning the old gym into a "batting cage", and there are currently two large rolls of astro-turf sitting outside next to the loading dock. They told us last year that we would have the cafeteria and the gym for 2020. But before I post the sign-up thread I want to confirm that - especially in light of the recent astro-turf delivery.

Regardless, the dates are already set: August 4th through August 9th. Further details to follow soon.

Adam

I had an idea years ago about getting a virtual LEM programmed. You know how people are into VR these days and it's getting cheaper and cheaper. Wouldn't it be nice to enter into a virtual setting and meet up with other people? This would be perfect for our situation like this with the virus outbreak and lockdown. But anyways if no one is up to the task I'd be glad to come up with another logo design for this year even if it doesn't take place.

A video-LEM might end up being too bandwidth-intensive for some of our members - at least if we wanted to have multiple video feeds going that is. If it was done like a WebEx where people took turns as the "presenter" it might work though.

Honestly, I think the best bet is for people to meet up on Skype or Discord or whatever and just do a voice-chat. Although even that gets messy when you have more than about 4 or 5 people on the line.

In the end there's no substitute for getting 50-60 people together for a meet.

Regarding SELEM, at present we're still proceeding as normal. (August 4th - 9th) I'm still waiting for answers from the school before posting the sign-up thread though. Admittedly I'm a little worried I may not be able to reach anyone now because of the closures, but if I can't get my answers I'll just forge ahead and we will have to deal with whatever comes up. I'm sure we're up to the challenge.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I had an idea years ago about getting a virtual LEM programmed. You know how people are into VR these days and it's getting cheaper and cheaper. Wouldn't it be nice to enter into a virtual setting and meet up with other people? This would be perfect for our situation like this with the virus outbreak and lockdown. But anyways if no one is up to the task I'd be glad to come up with another logo design for this year even if it doesn't take place.
    How virtual would it be? You mentioned VR so I am wondering if you are thinking of a 3d space or just some type of chat. It would be funny to model the venue in something like Unity3d and then create a multiplayer experience where we could walk around and chat and show each other video feeds. I am not suggesting doing that by any means as a substitute or even as an approximation. I just think it would be hilarious and a fun novelty.

Or maybe someone could set up a TF2 server and we can just run around blowing each other up.

Hmmm. WYSIWYG actually supports VR natively, and can visualize lasers and arbitrary video feeds, which makes for a really cool experience, but of course it's not multi-user. Something that allowed for a bunch of people to interact online in 3D (with optional VR support) and also share laser data feeds into the environment would be really amazing, but probably prohibitively bandwidth intensive--a single uncompressed laser feed at 30kpps is going to run ~2Mbps....

Of course you would still miss out on IMHO the best part of SELEM, which is getting to hang out with great people and seeing cool projects.

hey can you stream an ilda stream and play it at home on your own projector? Never seen that done