Page 33 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Dude! You need some ribbon cables!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Dude! You need some ribbon cables!
    Spray-on epoxy spaghetti sauce should do the trick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Spray-on epoxy spaghetti sauce should do the trick as well.
    I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks!

The wires are from a lifetime supply of supple finely stranded multi-colored wire I scavenged from a discarded Tandberg language lab three decades ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epoxy_sauce.jpg  

tandberg.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks!

The wires are from a lifetime supply of supple finely stranded multi-colored wire I scavenged from a discarded Tandberg language lab three decades ago.
    Do you need a rack mounted card cage for this? Just saw the Epoxy Sauce pic...nice!
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 07-01-2021 at 20:20.

Default A thing of beauty

As a Pastafarian, and minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (see below), I think his wiring is a thing of beauty. Touched by his noodly goodness. A card-rack? That would be an insult to the unique cardboard-box-rack that Greg has innovated. I think this is delightful, though I would never want to be responsible for its repair! Laserium's panel was difficult to deal with, but Greg's open-air flying architecture makes things much easier to get to.

Ramen,

Ron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flying Spaghetti Monster ordination.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	58108

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    As a Pastafarian, and minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (see below), I think his wiring is a thing of beauty. Touched by his noodly goodness. A card-rack? That would be an insult to the unique cardboard-box-rack that Greg has innovated. I think this is delightful, though I would never want to be responsible for its repair! Laserium's panel was difficult to deal with, but Greg's open-air flying architecture makes things much easier to get to.

Ramen,

Ron

Name:	Flying Spaghetti Monster ordination.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	58108
    Your observations and logic are impeccable and stand on their own. The cardboard partitions are inspiring, true. Now that you've altered my sense of things, I had thought of giving the card-rack to Greg for free, but now I realize there should be a penalty to pay if he chooses to take me up on my offer.

Open-air flying architecture is now officially a "thing", OAFA.

Oh come on, Laserium was guilty of the s-monster at times. When I tried to reboot Laserium the wire wrap hack on an image rotation board was profound. But the other than that case, where someone tried to reuse a previous "wrapped" piece of wire wrap - all the rest of the wire wrap connections held up amazing well on a 35 year old console. That's why I made this,

Name:	20210703_191938~3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	58109

If anybody cares about 3D printing - we had a real dog of a 3D printer - it screwed up more often than it produced a print. I bought a Prusa mark3s+ as a kit and it hasn't blown a single print...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Oh come on, Laserium was guilty of the s-monster at times. When I tried to reboot Laserium the wire wrap hack on an image rotation board was profound. But the other than that case, where someone tried to reuse a previous "wrapped" piece of wire wrap - all the rest of the wire wrap connections held up amazing well on a 35 year old console. That's why I made this,

Name:	20210703_191938~3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	58109

If anybody cares about 3D printing - we had a real dog of a 3D printer - it screwed up more often than it produced a print. I bought a Prusa mark3s+ as a kit and it hasn't blown a single print...
    We've all had our spaghetti nests, wire-wrap based or not. It's all in gest. ;-)

Thanks for the 3D printer kit info.

Ron, I always enjoy reading your posts. There is a deliberate welcome to the touch of his noodly goodness in all of the wiring I document here.

Since the subject has come up, photos show an example of some open-air flying architecture that was built prior to my establishing contact with the elders here on PL who enabled my dream of understanding the 6b. The piece is called "Toy Excimer Laser". The panel has controls for repetition rate and intensity of a violet led which, using a Fresnel lens projects a decently columnated beam, which can be focused to a dot about the size of the led. A piezo in the head gives an acoustic cue which suggests that the output is considerably more energetic than it actually is.

A variety of other peripherals (not shown) are also supported by this panel. Notice the open-air flying architecture extends to the optical mount for the focusing lens, which prevents the lens, the floor, and five year olds from hurting each other.

Regarding ease of repair of the 6b rebuild: Attached, for example, is the card edge document for the spiral board, which includes sections from the SPGN, FXCY, CYGN (ramp), as well as Brian's AD632 rotator. The cards can all easily be removed and tested in the testing jig, so repair's slightly better than it looks.

Photo: I have the five differential outputs of the 6b rebuild spaghettified to the data logger. Results to follow.

Regarding 351 data, I can start with 44100 / 13440 and get 3 and some, but I'm unclear what algorithm to pursue for resolving the signal against the encoding scheme previously described by Brian. Suggestions welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toy_Excimer_1.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_2.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_3.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_4.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_5.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_6.jpg  

Toy_Excimer_7.jpg  

spiral_card_edge.png  

record_5_differential_channels.jpg  

Laserium’s 351 data used three pulse rates. The fundamental pulse duration was .074 mS. A zero toggled the current state for .074 mS and toggled back for .074 mS. A one toggled the current state for .148 mS. (Notice the duration of a zero and one are equal.) The 160 bit frame began with a sync word that toggled the current state for .296 mS 4 times. (notice than one a single bit changing inverts the waveform…) To decode I would skip most of the analog stuff on the 352 card. I’d keep the first 3 op-amp circuits on the card’s input and then use a microcontroller to count the time between the zero crossings of input data to decode.

Name:	352.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	58124
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso