Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

It's just two LEDs, but they show the spiral sweep control voltage and the ramp reset signal from a small part of the show called Laserium79. Keep in mind that these are signals that were produced by choreographers using the previously discussed encoder decks. Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk7DZtBXQb0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cars_LEDs.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It's just two LEDs, but they show the spiral sweep control voltage and the ramp reset signal from a small part of the show called Laserium79. Keep in mind that these are signals that were produced by choreographers using the previously discussed encoder decks. Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk7DZtBXQb0
    Congrats! This is nice to see the progress you are making, Greg.

Hi Greg,

Just to finally clear up a bit of information, I've been sorting through all my Laserium stuff to send and ran across several of the CYGN-B AM/FM pots - the center (AM) pot is 10K linear and the outer (FM) pot is 100K linear. The State Electronics part number was L20631.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Just to finally clear up a bit of information, I've been sorting through all my Laserium stuff to send and ran across several of the CYGN-B AM/FM pots - the center (AM) pot is 10K linear and the outer (FM) pot is 100K linear. The State Electronics part number was L20631.
    Noted. Confirmed that at present that is what is in the panel.

Does "from ADAT" mean that you already have that data in some form stored on a drive?

May I ask what you used to record 3 tracks at the same time when you transferred / digitized the tapes I sent?

Ron: if recovery of an existing catalog is successful, and there is overlap with videos of shows from your archive, then there is good potential for full recovery of significant amounts of material.

From adat does mean I've already digitized those tapes. I used a Tascam DR-680 to record the 1/4 and the 8 channel adat tapes. You should be able to record the 8 channel adat tapes with the 24 channel deck and pull down the files via Ethernet. The Ethernet file transfer is amazingly slow BTW.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

The previously posted video with the LEDs shows two signals, but there are actually four spiral board control signals active during this song coda. Here are some screen captures showing this, and also a photo of the rebuilt spiral board which receives these signals plus a cycloid input. Annoyingly, the circuit in the photo at one point got partially un-rebuilt, and now has to be re-rebuilt. Maybe it will be worth while when it all finally comes together and we get to see this inimitable passage of visually expressed music as it was originally conceived.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spiral_board_control_signals_1.png  

spiral_board_control_signals_2.png  

spiral_board_control_signals_3.png  

SPGN_wiring_complete.jpg  

Greg, I'm sorry but those images just confused me. +/-7.8 e+2 seconds is +/-780 seconds. That would be the longest song in LI^2 history. Maybe 7.8 seconds? I'm not sure what each trace represents. Did they really do some kind of spiral in/out inversion with clipping? I don't know, that might look okay, especially since I don't think anybody ever ran the spiral rate override at zero.

Greg, I'm sorry but those images just confused me. +/-7.8 e+2 seconds is +/-780 seconds. That would be the longest song in LI^2 history. Maybe 7.8 seconds? I'm not sure what each trace represents. Did they really do some kind of spiral in/out inversion with clipping? I don't know, that might look okay, especially since I don't think anybody ever ran the spiral rate override at zero.
    Sorry for not mentioning the information in the graticule is extraneous. It's probably just the time elapsed since launching the window. The scale is zoomed so there are about 16 beats (a few seconds) per image capture. One can see the beats marked with the blue square wave which is the legendary ramp reset. The traces are:

red is SPIRAL RATE / PDM RATE

orange is SPIRAL SYM / PDM SYM

green is SPIRAL SWEEP / PDM AMP

blue is byte 17 bit 7 which is actually the twos column is SPIRAL RESET EN

static during the illustrated segment:
    byte 17 bit 8 is SPIRAL DIRECTION / PDM EN.
    byte 17 bit 6 is DIAMOND is used earlier in the song. The bit sets diamond for the illustrated segment.

I'll try to get up a video of the emulator playing the whole song. Much as I dislike this song, I think Laserium is brilliant for choosing it because the choreography is totally what makes it. The emulator admirably shows enables, gains, offsets, and A/B bus activity using placeholder graphics. I need to add something that shows what joysticks might be doing. The number "Just What I Needed" we are discussing makes no use of offsets. The diamond spiral and the fixed cycloid generator are the only sources which appear on the A/B bus. I'm assuming the fixed cycloid select would be switched to to KQO. The diamond is used through most of the song with the fixed cycloid appearing a few times.

By the way, is this anything?
    byte 20 bit 3 is DIAMOND / DAM / AM ROTATOR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laserium79_5_song_coda_spiral_action.png  

"Much as I dislike this song" lol ;-)

The spiral card had 3, 0 to 10 volt inputs from the 351 data, and two digital inputs. Out rate, in rate and sweep were the analog signals, spiral reset and diamond spirals were the digital inputs. So you could control how fast the ramp generator ramped up and down, reset the ramp, and the sweep was summed to the image input. The ramp generator produced a ramp and an inverted ramp.
    I'm wondering about some discrepancies in the existing info regarding the Spiral Generator analog inputs:

351 frame:
    word 7: SPIRAL RATE / PDM RATE
    word 8: SPIRAL SYM / PDM SYM
    word 9: SPIRAL SWEEP / PDM AMP

6b-SPGN.pdf:
    card edge:
    pin: 8 SPIRAL IN RATE CONTROL VOLTAGE INPUT
    pin: 12 SPIRAL OUT RATE CONTROL VOLTAGE INPUT
    pin: 14 SPIRAL SWEEP CONTROL VOLTAGE INPUT
    pin: 16 VARIABLE RAMP RATE INPUT (DELTA F)

The Spiral Rate dial on main panel sits between ground and what? This dial is a ten turn pot on the console I have. This control signal appears to sweep the ramp frequency correctly all the way from 0 to +15.

Is it possible the inputs to the IN rate and OUT rate pins were 0 to 5 volts, rather than 0 to 10 volts? One of these signals does not have much effect when raised beyond 5V, and the other one crashes the ramp generator when raised above about 6 volts. Power cycle is needed to restore the ramp in this case.

Is it possible that 351 frame:
    word 7: SPIRAL RATE / PDM RATE
    word 8: SPIRAL SYM / PDM SYM
    are actually the IN rate and OUT rate inputs, and the variable ramp rate comes exclusively from the dial on the panel?