Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    That projector was a complete full-sized 19" electronics rack. Beast indeed. We used it at the short-lived San Francisco Lone Mountain location. Charlie loved that projector...

Ron
    Wow, I remember the tall rack behind the rear screen up at Lone Mountain.
    That star projector did a great job. Filled the screen and was super bright.
    Almost made you forget that we were not in the planetarium.

Chuck

Much gratitude to the party(s) that provided me with the 6502 source listing of the DOGN. The code contains four dynamic offset routines: POPCRN, PNGPNG, MOTION, and BHBRN (no idea what the last one stands for).

This code has now been ported, although I have not been able to get the MOTION routine to work properly yet. The POPCRN routine makes use of a great and very compact pseudo random number generator to give random points. The PNGPNG routine, as expected, outputs a point that moves linearly between pseudo random points. the BHBRN routine outputs a randomly meandering point.

I remember the number Phobos and Deimos go to Mars, from Starship, rather well. Seeing the BHBRN routine in action solves one mystery: this must have been the effect that was used in a certain part of this number.

Very interesting code, although the dogloid seen in Rob's previously posted photo didn't show up. I would be happy to continue the porting effort should anyone have ROM dumps. Of Particular interest would be the Crystal Odyssey ROM, as that had an interesting "knowledge transfer" graphic sequence where a bunch of symbols (I only remember that the letter pi appeared) would flash by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails POPCRN.png  

PNGPNG.png  

BHBRN.png  

BHBRN - something to do with brownian motion
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I'll look for ROMs, though I'm not sure how we'll read them. Do you have something that reads 1702's? Or were they 2708's? I may have a few.

Ron

I have a number of dog proms, and a reader for the 2k proms. The first gen proms were 1k though...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Sorry, no DOG EPROMS that I could find on my initial search. I could swear I had a couple...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    Sorry, no DOG EPROMS that I could find on my initial search. I could swear I had a couple...

Ron
    I think you sent them to me in 2013...

Brian, It's great you have some roms. These "doglets" are little algorithmic gems. Of course it's the 1k roms I would find the most interesting. If it is possible to locate hardware that is needed for transfer for sale anywhere, I'd be happy to provide the $ to get it into your hands.

By the way, a part of the CYGN-B story that is still mysterious is information about the potentiometers. As well as range etc., I wonder, did they connect to edge pins on the card, a bus, or something else?

The CYGNB was built around a 44 pin Vector form factor (4.50" x 6.50" x 0.062"). Some of the early boards were wire-wrapped - and were geek Artwork. It used 10K - 10 turn pots for frequency. There was a 10V reference on the board for the frequency pots. The gain/symmetry used Allen Bradley triple coax modpots dual 10k for X&Y and a single 20K for symmetry. The symmetry worked by exposing the X or Y summing junction to ground. The AM & FM gain each used 10K dual coax modpots. Polarity was done with EAO switches. The master Gain was a 10K dual pot. All the pots were linear.

By the way, I finally got around to digitizing your tapes last night. I haven't listened to the audio or looked at the data much yet. I did notice the data signal was almost nonexistent so I maxed out the gain for channel 4 - maybe it'll be okay.

That's incredibly helpful, as always. Thanks so much. And yes, brownian - that's exactly what the output looks like.