Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Way back in the mid 80s I saw something unique at the Dayton Hamfest. It was an 8 track open reel tape machine, but it was a machine control telemetry recorder. It could record and play analog control voltages, including steady voltages other than zero because it was FM. I have no idea what the bandwidth was, but I thought it was pretty interesting.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Good old fashioned hand wired breadboard build- no surface mount stuff here! I was beginning to think nobody does it this way anymore.

Awesome!
    Agreed!

Reminds me of Ben Eater's videos on building a video card, an 8-bit microprocessor, and a 6502-based computer, all using breadboards and point-to-point wiring.

I've contemplated buying one or more of Ben's kits to assemble for myself, but I've always held off because I know I won't have the time to finish...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    Greg,

I gave all my 1/4" reel to reel tapes back to dsli-jon, who probably forwarded them to Lumalaser. Lumalaser has digitized those tapes and will probably use the files in whatever they have planned for the "Bride of Laserium" return of the shows. However, I do still possess a few beta and ADAT tapes that probably have 352 data on them.

I'd have to take inventory, but I may have these in betamax tape format:

Laserium I
    Light Years
    Crystal Odyssey
    Laser-Rush: Grace Under Pressure
    Led Zeppelin: In The Beginning
    Grateful Dead
    Rainbow Cadenza: Classics
    The Police
    Laserium Zodiac (Zodiacal Light)
    Moonrock
    Flashback: '80's (Laseroq: the 80's)
    Laserock: Into the '90's
    Summer of '69
    David Arkenstone: Celestial Dreams
    Led Zeppelin: In The Evening
    U2
    Rock-It '91
    Star Trek: The Astral Symphony
    The Doors
    Hot Led: Zeppelins' Best (Molten Led)
    LASER HOLIDAY '92
    Laserium Rocks!
    the cure: wish
    Dream On: The Music of Aerosmith
    Inside Laserium
    Lollapalaser
    Laserium Rocks San Francisco (KGB)

And I only have Metallica in ADAT

As you know already, I have almost every soundtrack (digitized from sometimes questionable tapes) on CD.

Ron
    Thank you for the reply, Ron. That sounds like a significant trove of potentially recoverable material. I have the infrastructure in place to digitize, decode, and visualize a 351 data containing audio signal, as demonstrated in some of my previous posts. I have no idea however, how the betamax format fits into the Laserium picture. Is a modified betamax deck required to obtain the useful signals on playback? Do you know any details regarding what signals are recorded on the tapes and how to access them? Was an external decoder needed to demultiplex the audio from the show control signals?

I very much enjoyed hearing your words of wisdom on the Laserium video. I wish I could have seen some of your performances.

Results are in. The XYRGB signals produced by the 6b rebuild are being recorded and played back synched to audio by using the BELA platform. It works admirably. The cycloids including the color mod look the same whether they come from the analog circuits, or from bela.

This bodes well for putting together something in the way of a four channel system that plays 351 the way it was meant to be seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6B_XYRGB_BELA.jpg  

block_bela.png  

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Is the Betamax multiplex compatible with the Image Engineering decoder i have in storage?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Results are in. The XYRGB signals produced by the 6b rebuild are being recorded and played back synched to audio by using the BELA platform. It works admirably. The cycloids including the color mod look the same whether they come from the analog circuits, or from bela.

This bodes well for putting together something in the way of a four channel system that plays 351 the way it was meant to be seen.
    I have goosebumps all over!

Multa BELA!
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 08-07-2022 at 11:00.

Maybe slightly off topic, but does anyone know of a way to decode the Ch6 data for ADAT midi that usually fed a midiana without recreating it from the schematic?
    leading in trailing technology

According to the documentation I've got (thanks Ron) the MIDI was recorded on chan 5 of the "A" tapes. Chan 5 wasn't DC. I'd look at it with a scope. I doubt an ADAT could record a raw MIDI signal worth a damn. It's probably a 1/2 speed or slower version of a MIDI signal that would need to be buffered and sped up. I looked at the schematics once, but since I didn't have the software/eprom info I said thanks but no thanks. The Midiana controlled the Lumia and intensity - which really is MUCH better performed live...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Anyone have the manual for these scanner amps?
    361 71 D

They will probably end up with Greg.

Three of them were in a non-laserium projector at SELEM and followed me home.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220808_205925.jpg  

20220808_205916.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 08-08-2022 at 17:52.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Steve: I sent an email before I saw your previous post. Wow!

TheHermit: I think that's pretty much about it, yeah. There is no ADAT involved anywhere on my plate of spaghetti, and the ILDA block in my current setup just means single ended to differential amplifiers, nothing to do with ILDA data. But results suggest you're right about all the possibilities involving using bela as a small cheap digital real time ten track tape deck. I'm happy to provide my codebase if it helps anyone make use of this functionality.

I like and will go with lasermaster1977's coinage for future references to achieving a 4 channel 351 data inclusive Multa BELA scheme.

Brian: I'm wondering if I am overlooking a 3.28 MHZ oscillator circuit somewhere in the 6b-DNUB.pdf

Ron: Your photos have proved invaluable in the past. If you ever come across a Danube board, that would be a timely one to see.