Page 28 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Getting data on the 43xx series of Burr Brown chips usually requires help from the Ti Archives. They came through for me on three 43 series parts in the past.
    It took a while.
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Getting data on the 43xx series of Burr Brown chips usually requires help from the Ti Archives. They came through for me on three 43 series parts in the past.
    It took a while.
    Steve
    I'm fairly sure Greg just wants to build the ramp shaper from Laser Image's spiral board. Maybe That Corp's 340P14-U would work for the AD811 AD821 pair...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Yes, of course, I'm reviewing the possibility of a build of the spiral board. The substitution suggestions are welcome. I'm fine with using a linear ramp generator if the Burr Brown only produces an effect not worth having.

Attached schematic is my current understanding of the CYGN-B panel wiring for the gains and symmetry for one oscillator. Corrections welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGNB_panel_wiring_gains_and_symmetry.png  

But your "a level deeper" technical advice is always appreciated, thanks Steve.

Oh wait, I forgot the 4.7Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Oh wait, I forgot the 4.7Ks.
    There's a polarity switch in 2 out of three cases (two switch between the sine and inverse sine), and the symmetry pot connects at the input to the gain pots in the wire list.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    Brian,

I remember, as you do, that the 6th button for CM2 applied FM to CM1. I believe the source for the FM signal was either the sum of the CYGN-A or just the C oscillator of CYGN-A. Hard to remember these details after 22 years NOT performing shows! The wiring may be in the blue-binder.

I always thought it was a shame they never provided a way to do AM of CM1 (except with the potentiometer). We missed out on many interesting looks.

Ron
    Hey Ron,

I read this as "AM of CM1" originally and it's a cool idea. In rehearsing in my head a post to The Radiator thread - somehow I turned that into Audio Mod of CM1 - wow - that's the hard thing about hardware - you build this totally cool thing that does exactly what you wanted, and then you want more... And there's no room for the switch or knob or whatever... that you need to squeeze in. I'm thinking that what defines an Art is when you have to toss everything that came before and start again almost from scratch, questioning all of your assumptions - again - and building the new expression of... Something you hope is wonderful...
    Last edited by laserist; 11-26-2020 at 20:18.

The CYGN-B is almost complete. It's a trip to have my fingers on these marvelous taps after forty years of reviewing distant memories. Metaphors such as Rosetta Stones and Holy Grails apply to this project, at least on a personal emotional level. Gently easing the scratchiness out of the dials... and behold! Among the many clever things done by Laser Images that made lasers into rock and roll the digital cycloid generator stands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGNB_panel_wiring_gains_and_symmetry_rev2.png  

CYGN-B_almost_complete.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The CYGN-B is almost complete. It's a trip to have my fingers on these marvelous taps after forty years of reviewing distant memories. Metaphors such as Rosetta Stones and Holy Grails apply to this project, at least on a personal emotional level. Gently easing the scratchiness out of the dials... and behold! Among the many clever things done by Laser Images that made lasers into rock and roll the digital cycloid generator stands.
    If that's looking a little different than you remember, you might have the panel upside down...

the EAO switches are a little unusual. Each bank has a N.O. & a N.C. set of contacts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eao.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	57353

Oh boxes and blobs, the panel is upside down.