Thread: Coherent Lasercheck

Default Coherent Lasercheck

Hi all

I've just bought a Coherent Lasercheck . I work in Optics and used our company name to buy the Lasercheck directly from Coherent.

This set me thinking that using our company purchasing power I could probably negotiate a discount for any Forum Members who may want one of these (buying say 10 units). Obviously our Company would have to make a bit of profit on the purchase to cover costs (couldn't do it otherwise, time is money ), but I would try to keep this to a minimum.

Currently, it's looking as though the price would be around £215 including V.A.T., but plus delivery of probably around a tenner (insured postage), therefore they would probably be in the region of £225 delivered to your doorstep.

I know you guys in the States can probably beat this price, but don't forget that in the UK we have the cost of freight from the States plus import duties and 17.5% Value Added Tax.

One company I rang for a price wanted £230 plus delivery (£10) plus V.A.T. (£282 total!)

Anyhow, It was just a thought. If anyone's interested just let me know.

Cheers

Jem

With the US$ rate being favourable at the moment, now is probably a good time for you guys to get together and get one of Coherent's better spec'd models. In my experience the LaserCheck is a pretty awful power meter for any serious measurements. (I guess that's why they call it a "check").

Going for the FieldMaxII or the lesser expensive FieldMate are better options. But like most things in life, you pays ya money...

On last week's Laser Safety Course, one of the guys told the group that there is a website selling these LaserChecks for $250, which even with shipping, duty, and vat, could still be an attractive option.

Cheers,

James

It does look like Rockwell Laser Industries (www.rli.com) still sells them in the US for $310, so with the pound being over $2us (at least according to msn money) it sounds like it might be cheaper

I've just got the latest pricing on the two meters I mentioned in the earlier post. The price to buy direct from Coherent in the UK is £445 for the FieldMate, and £799 for the FieldMaxII. Both Prices are exclusive of VAT.

You have to be a little bit careful when checking the exchange rates. The likes of MSN Money show the the "trade rate". If you are buying via a credit card, or through a bank, you will get a slightly lower figure. ...the "tourist rate". (its basically their way of hiding the commission charges that used to be the case in the past) There is generally only a few cents in it. But it is something worth remembering. The lower rate at the moment seems to be coming in just under the 2$ mark at 1.97, whilst MSN is showing $2.02.

James