Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hello All, Laser Question/Help

My journey is now complete, for now! Guess upgraded (better) lasers are next as well as properly wiring saftey key and the like. The scannermax scanners are 1000 times better than the original scanners in the laser. Thanks for all who have helped this novice hobbyist along through the process and answered my questions. I have learned a great deal along the way and don't think I would have gotten here without you all. I have certainly spent a fair bit of money along the way in the form of a tap and die kit, drill press, and a few other odds and ends, but it was worth it. I ran into a few issues in the form of my own stupidity. First being no laser output while testing before mounting. This was because I had the pots turned way down (heart skipped a few beats there). Also, I somehow mixed the Y- and X- up going to the ILDA cable. I also think the ILDA breakout I bought is a little cheap as when I wiggle it the output on the scanners degrades, any recommendations on that? Other than that everything went fairly smooth.

I did have one question though. With the other scanners in the laser, I could push them too hard and hear them screaming in agony. With the Compact 506's is it possible to "hurt" them by scanning too complex visuals, especially from a wave generator program? Or is there any saftey mechanisms built in that would prevent this?

Again, thank you all for the help along the way, I hope I was not too annoying!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_200051.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	56834

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_222054.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	56833

Glad to see you got it running!

Glad the operation went well and you learned some new skills.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis7765 View Post
    I did have one question though. With the other scanners in the laser, I could push them too hard and hear them screaming in agony. With the Compact 506's is it possible to "hurt" them by scanning too complex visuals, especially from a wave generator program? Or is there any saftey mechanisms built in that would prevent this?
    Well, first you shouldn't be projecting at a rate faster than the scanners are tuned for. I assume your scanners were tuned for 30kpps as they appear to have 5mm mirrors. I'm sure Pangolin included a sheet in your package that told you what each of the four settings is.

This said, yes the MachDSP has safety mechanisms to protect the galvos. Most software has max jump angle settings that prevent you from projecting potentially harmful things (such as a full long shot back and forth at full rated speed without the addition of interpolating points). That is going to vary from software package to software package.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I agree with David - there's not much harm you can do to the 506 scanners because the amps will shut down if you do something incredibly stupid, and if you're just doing something marginally stupid the scanners themselves will simply grin and bear it, albeit with a degraded image.

Seriously though, those scanners are very capable. They are over-built for what most people need. I've never heard of anyone overheating a set of 506 scanners, and I suspect that even in a worst case scenario you wouldn't be able to get them hot enough to cause damage before the amps shut you down.

If the pattern you are displaying starts to distort, or if your sharp corners are starting to round off, you know you're reaching the limits of the scanners. In that case just reduce the scan angle a bit.

Adam