Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a bit of help with building a projector

Alrighty! Thanks for the replies, also, awesome projector! I like how the wood looks with the electronics
    Since I already soldered connectors ( not db25 though ) I think that I can just solder it onto the connector itself, so I have something to do while the other parts arrive
    I checked the seller that you linked and his white modules, however, I took a closer look to the board, ( says TTL pins, but won't pay too much attention) but also the distribution of the board is different, more transistors and capacitors. Maybe I'm being too much, but don't want to end with a ttl driver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-500mW-White-Laser-Module-Analogue-RGB-Laser-Combined-520nm-638nm-450nm-/264274540594?hash=
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Shysk View Post
    I checked the seller that you linked and his white modules, however, I took a closer look to the board, ( says TTL pins, but won't pay too much attention) but also the distribution of the board is different, more transistors and capacitors. Maybe I'm being too much, but don't want to end with a ttl driver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-500mW-White-Laser-Module-Analogue-RGB-Laser-Combined-520nm-638nm-450nm-/264274540594?hash=
    Have a nice day!
    trust me its analog
    Specification:

• Wavelength : 520nm(80mW)+638nm(120mW)+445nm(300mW)
    • Combined Optical Power outut: 500mW
    • Operating Voltage: 12VDC
    • Warm-up Time: <1 minute
    • Operating Lifetime: >5000hrs
    • Operating temperature: 0 - 40 °C
    • Modulation: Analogue Modulation
    • Module Size:63*50*40mm
    • Beam Characteristics Near to TEM)) model , Divergence<3.5mrad, Spot roundness >85%
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Hi there!
    So pretty much I will order all that I need this week; The galvos, the module and an ilda cable and maybe a breakout board.
    But I would like to ask a few things. One is that, I will, for sure order Helios Dac, but I also like Moncha.net software, so I saw that on ebay and few pages there are a few kits that come with a galvo and a showcard with and sd card reader, so I was wondering that I could buy one of those, and use Helios Dac when I want and the sd card for Moncha.ne's, but I don't really know if that is going to work properly? I also though on just making a pcb and connect the galvos to the showcard for the SD and to the Ilda connector itself for Helios, pretty much cause I doubt the quality of those showcards.
    Or if there is a solution for using an sd card through Helios I'm open to buying/using!
    Also, any budget solution for smoke or haze? My room is pretty small so I don't need to much power.
    And well, if anyone can explain me a bit of the security of the scanners, I red a bit about them, but 400MW it's not that much, so I can stand in front of the scanner with a camera using a dim area?
    Sorry if all sounds too "Cheap" but really I want to start like this and if I like this I will spend more on better galvos and lasers
    Have a nice week!
    BTW: Watching Keeperx tutorials on Spaguetti LaserShow!

400mw should still be treated with respect, IMHO all lasers should be treated with respect regardless of the output power, helps drive in good safety habits, the last I knew the threshold for eye damage can start at or around 5mw and do not take a picture with beams hitting the lens on the camera, that will damage it, found that out the hard way, one of my cameras has about a dozen dead pixels from an accidental hit to my camera and I was a good distance away but it still did damage and here is the kill shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06429.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	56351
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

but 400mW it's not that much, so I can stand in front of the scanner with a camera using a dim area?
    400 mW is more than enough power to damage the CCD inside your camera if the beam strikes the lens. I have burn spots on two old digital cameras that were caused by a 100 mW green projector. Be *very* careful when taking pictures of your projector while it is running, or purchase a cheap camera (or even an old cell phone) and use that to shoot the pictures. That way if you damage it you won't be as upset.

Note that lasers can also damage DLP and LCD video projectors, even if they are turned off. Be sure to cover the lens of any video projector in the room before turning the laser projector on. (Aluminum foil works great!)

Regarding eye safety: Some people will happily stand in the scan field of a 400 mW projector and watch the beams. It this safe? The math says no. However, many people do this anyway and get away with it. I would not recommend it, however. There are documented cases of permanent eye damage (under controlled, ideal circumstances) using just 15 mW of 532 nm light from a dpss laser. Admittedly there are also lots of anecdotal stories of people being crowd-scanned with several watts of power with no ill effects, but remember that eye damage can be difficult to detect (unless you go to an opthalmologist and have your retina imaged).

If, despite the risk, you insist on standing in the scan field, remember this: if it is bright enough that it is uncomfortable and makes you want to look away, it's too bright for your eyes. Consider adding a large diameter lens to the output window (just tape it in place) to increase the beam diameter. And pay attention to the pattern being displayed; if you see a hot beam moving towards you, shield your eyes or blink.

Adam

So pretty much I will order all that I need this week; The galvos, the module and an ilda cable and maybe a breakout board.
    But I would like to ask a few things. One is that, I will, for sure order Helios Dac, but I also like Moncha.net software, so I saw that on ebay and few pages there are a few kits that come with a galvo and a showcard with and sd card reader, so I was wondering that I could buy one of those, and use Helios Dac when I want and the sd card for Moncha.ne's, but I don't really know if that is going to work properly? I also though on just making a pcb and connect the galvos to the showcard for the SD and to the Ilda connector itself for Helios, pretty much cause I doubt the quality of those showcards.
    I would stick with software + dac myself and not try to use an SD card. I know it sounds nice and convenient but its not in practice.
    Or if there is a solution for using an sd card through Helios I'm open to buying/using!
    you could build a mini computer using a raspberryPi and run your shows fro that, but the onboard computers that are sold are not that great.
    Also, any budget solution for smoke or haze? My room is pretty small so I don't need to much power.
    This little guy is a beast if you use good fog juice
    https://shop.bestreviews.com/product...e-fog-machines

And well, if anyone can explain me a bit of the security of the scanners, I red a bit about them, but 400MW it's not that much, so I can stand in front of the scanner with a camera using a dim area?
    Sorry if all sounds too "Cheap" but really I want to start like this and if I like this I will spend more on better galvos and lasers
    Have a nice week!
    BTW: Watching Keeperx tutorials on Spaguetti LaserShow!
    Its not security its safety.
    There are LOTS of topics regarding this but the main thing is to keep the beam away from your eyes and cameras. Use common sense and a note of caution. Learn about FLICKER VERTIGO because it SUCKS!

Alright, thanks for the answers.
    The small problem I got by reading this, is that I knew that lasers are obviously dangerous, but that there are lot of videos out there ( Like this one, or this one with 15W scanners ) and I think that by seeing that I could get a wrong view of what beamshows are, the feeling that I got by reading the comments is to basically avoid the scan angle of the scanners under all circumstances, but I guess that I can set the dim areas where the camera or me are going to stay or just place the scanner aiming a bit up, so I'm out out of the scanning area and I can still watch the beam show.

Regarding to the show card thing, well, I will just get the ilda breakout board, I pretty much asked it just for using moncha, but I will stick with Spaguetti and Lasershowgen and Keeperx tutorials

Well, I think that the fog machine is enough for not having a cloud on my room.

And well, regarding the "If it makes you look away". I got my screens on the lowest brightness, so Imagine.

Maybe this is the correct way of watching a beamshow

Have a nice day!

I agree with Alec: beam shows look *great* when viewed from below. Although off to one side isn't bad either.

As a general rule you want to be looking towards the projector for a beam show, and towards the projection surface (and thus away from the projector) for a graphics show. But yeah, being inside the scan field is risky...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    But yeah, being inside the scan field is risky...
    Says the guy with that particular avatar image