Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on EMMA Light's higher power offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    But if cost is the primary driving factor and you are certain that the EMMA projector has at least 30K scanners (as in actually capable of 30K, not just claimed), then maybe the EMMA unit is the right choice for the OP.
    This is key.

The way galvo's are spec'd is not the same cross manufacturer (or more specifically cross seller because there are only a few manufacturers)
    They are built and tuned and the ones that perform better are given a better spec. i find that the GT30's are true 30k at a reasonable price. They are matched with their driver board which is how they get the performance out of them (they are pre-tuned well)

For instance;
    • Some say 30kpps when they really mean 30kpps at 5 degree optical
    • some will say 30kpps and mean 30k at the "standard" 8 degree optical
    • some will say 30kpps and mean 30k at 20 degree optical.
    • others will be somewhere in between

This is why it is important to know exactly what is in the projector. Personally I build projectors so I always know the ACTUAL numbers (or at least the actual claimed numbers) before buying. You can be sure that projector companies like EMMA are going to use the least possible component. If its still cheaper to buy the "40kpps" version of the projector (or higher) then do it because those scanners will be at least 30k @ 8-20 degrees. Otherwise stick with something that you can be sure of..

Alternatively you can buy whatever and upgrade it later. Then you have an extra set of galvos and can build an extra projector which you can upgrade later and the cycle repeats!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ
    well the opt cant compare to the fiber corrected GS
    I've got 10W fibre corrected and 10W Opt and I can't really tell much between them.
    I've not opened them up yet but do you know that they're not fibre corrected?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

For anyone reading this, I have discovered that the onboard SD card readers in these Emma lasers only support 7 color TTL, however the ILDA port supports full RGB, which is quite disappointing, so not pay extra for the SD card unless you want very limited color support.

Additionally, the diodes seem to shut off entirely when going below about 25% brightness which is quite disappointing as you get "jumps" in color when fading from say red to green through orange and yellow. Basically orange can't be displayed because that's full red with like 10% green, but the green diode doesn't turn on until 25% brightness which ends up being a kinda of yellow.

I received the following documentation from the manufacturer regarding variance. I don't know enough about this to know if this is correct, can anyone attest?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.55.03.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	60877
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.54.56.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	60878
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by uketernity View Post
    For anyone reading this, I have discovered that the onboard SD card readers in these Emma lasers only support 7 color TTL, however the ILDA port supports full RGB, which is quite disappointing, so not pay extra for the SD card unless you want very limited color support.

Additionally, the diodes seem to shut off entirely when going below about 25% brightness which is quite disappointing as you get "jumps" in color when fading from say red to green through orange and yellow. Basically orange can't be displayed because that's full red with like 10% green, but the green diode doesn't turn on until 25% brightness which ends up being a kinda of yellow.
    The shutoff below 25% problem could be easily dealt with in projection software with an adjustable color bias. I wonder how common this issue is.