Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Positive Thinking

Picked up a new front axle for my big YeeYee shit box yesterday. $1800 for axles, and I only need one of them (the second was free and basically scrap).

Going from a 1979 Ford F250 Dana 44HD to a 1979 F350 Dana 60. Basically the 'holy grail' of front axles before going to military surplus parts, and only in production for 2 years, hence they can justify the $1800 price for a rusty axle needing rebuilt...

Trying to get all these project parts bought and paid for before "my money" becomes "our money" in December and baby is born in February. Then it is a bit harder to get away with...

Luckily after the rebuild it should be a bolt in swap and already has the gear ratio I want. With the old axle I was maxed out already at about 38" tires, this should let me go to 44" safely without breaking stuff. Of course, I'll need more lift to do that...

Still cheaper than lasers though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200905_224814_102.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	57110

Name:	IMG_20200928_190144711.jpg 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	57111
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Nice project! Post some updates during the rebuild. I'm not an offroad guy, but even so, Dana 60's are legendary. They use them a lot on Powerblock and other 4x4 shows.

My current vehicle project is restoring a 94 Probe GT. Just replaced all the suspension front and back. Next is steering rack and pump. Then new oil pump, water pump, timing set, etc... Then paint.

Good to see what others are doing to entertain themselves outside of our collective love of photons.

Quote Originally Posted by bradstockdale View Post
    Nice project! Post some updates during the rebuild. I'm not an offroad guy, but even so, Dana 60's are legendary. They use them a lot on Powerblock and other 4x4 shows.

My current vehicle project is restoring a 94 Probe GT. Just replaced all the suspension front and back. Next is steering rack and pump. Then new oil pump, water pump, timing set, etc... Then paint.

Good to see what others are doing to entertain themselves outside of our collective love of photons.
    Show us your Probe, Brad! Show us your Probe!

Yes and of all the revisions of the D60 over the years, this is the "most desirable". The narrow spring pad width allows clearing larger tires without rubbing on the springs and inboard frame mounting of hangers. It has kingpins rather than more vulnerable ball joints, and no expensive / unserviceable unit bearings. And no center axle disconnect. High pinion too! Hence the price
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

LOL... Yeah, the model name isn't the greatest point. I'll be the first to admit that. But for a FWD sports coupe, the Probe isn't a bad platform. And, it makes it easy to talk about probelems. when something breaks.

The high pinion diffs are rare from what I've heard on the automotive shows I watch! Nice find!

Name:	probe2_1_resize.jpg 
Size:	557.4 KB 
ID:	57113

Quote Originally Posted by bradstockdale View Post
    LOL... Yeah, the model name isn't the greatest point. I'll be the first to admit that. But for a FWD sports coupe, the Probe isn't a bad platform. And, it makes it easy to talk about probelems. when something breaks.

The high pinion diffs are rare from what I've heard on the automotive shows I watch! Nice find!

Name:	probe2_1_resize.jpg 
Size:	557.4 KB 
ID:	57113
    PROBE and LEM haha I like it

Yes they only made them in that combination for 2 years. And like land, I hear they aren't making any more of them....

Realistically they've been scarce since early 2000's so I was willing to "overpay" a bit when I found one locally. I could have found one a bit lower, but by the time I factor in time and gas I would have come out the same or even worse.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com