Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Positive Thinking

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I bought a new remanufactured 4.0L for my 98 Wrangler TJ for around $1300.
    I had no idea you could get a reman 4L for so cheap! Good to know. I looked into the "stroker" upgrade a while back and it was around 3 grand for a complete motor. (It turns the 4.0L into a 4.7L.) It only gives you another 15 HP or so, but the max torque goes up to 285. People who have done the swap say it's great if you do a lot of towing, which is why I was considering it. In the end I couldn't justify the cost though.

As for me, I have been learning to to play the drums since the beginning of the year.
    I'm not taking any lessons but I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and practicing everyday. My goal is to have fun playing along to music and so far I am.
    That actually sounds really cool Gary! Did you go out and buy a kit, or are you using pads/midi?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I had no idea you could get a reman 4L for so cheap! Good to know. I looked into the "stroker" upgrade a while back and it was around 3 grand for a complete motor. (It turns the 4.0L into a 4.7L.) It only gives you another 15 HP or so, but the max torque goes up to 285. People who have done the swap say it's great if you do a lot of towing, which is why I was considering it. In the end I couldn't justify the cost though.

That actually sounds really cool Gary! Did you go out and buy a kit, or are you using pads/midi?

Adam
    I got the engine from RockAuto because they were far cheaper than other places. It came in a plastic box and 6 months later I finally shipped back the old one. I just called them and said come get it. It was a really good customer experience.
    It came with a 3yr warranty.

I bought a used Pearl Forum set. Even though I have a separate shed for practice it was still too loud so I bought some quiet cymbals and mesh heads. I don't think I would like one of those electronic sets because part of the feel is actually having a cool looking drum set. So, I can't control Spaghetti directly from the drum kit but I have been having some ideas about how I can make shows directly from drum sheet music. Not sure they will ever come to fruition, though.

WOW! You are a nerd!

I remember learning how to play. My brother got a set when I was about 19. I had played tenor sax in school and had already gotten a good start on guitar, so I knew meter and rhythm pretty well. This might sound weird,, but I kept hitting the back of my left hand with my right hand stick because of the crossover between snare and high hat. Eventually my brain figured out how to compensate for the sticks in my hands and I could sense where they were at all times. I could do things individually rather well, but doing it all at the same time was very difficult. Then it just clicked and I got it. I really like playing all kinds of different meters and even mixed meter.

If you want to hear me on drums (and everything else) here are some examples!

https://soundcloud.com/james-lehman-475223801

Sad Happiness is a pretty good example.

Lyrics are here:
    http://akrobiz.com/james/11-16-64/00%2011-16-64.doc
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I got the engine from RockAuto because they were far cheaper than other places.
    I like Rock Auto, but I've never ordered a crate motor from them. (Always Summit or Jegs) I'll keep them in mind though!

I bought a used Pearl Forum set. Even though I have a separate shed for practice it was still too loud so I bought some quiet cymbals and mesh heads.
    Quieting a kit is always going to be hard. I've heard of people putting R-30 insulation in the walls of their practice shed and then installing drywall with anechoic foam panels over the top and it *still* being too loud! (Plus that acoustic wedge foam stuff is expensive as hell.) The mesh heads are a good idea though. Do they change the feel of the kit a lot?

I played drums for a year when I was in band (started on the alto sax the first year and then switched to drums the second year because I thought it would be easier). Never got very good at either one! But my younger son also played drums when he was in band, so we got him a starter kit and let him flail on that for a few years. I got a chance to re-live my younger years by playing on his kit, and I'll admit it was fun (even though I sucked at it).

I can't control Spaghetti directly from the drum kit
    Is that because Spaghetti doesn't have a "live" control mode? Would that be something you could add? Thinking you could map a small list of frames to an array and then trigger them in order based on a microphone input... Or maybe just go the standard route and map a bunch of frames (or cues) to the keyboard and then use a software keyboard emulator to trigger cues based on whatever external input you wanted. (This could be midi, if you wanted to spend the coin on a bunch of drum sensors, or a home-made TTL input circuit that you hack together yourself.)
    I gotta say though - the idea of a drummer controlling a laser show in real time sounds kinda cool to me...

Would need some tweaking though, because most drummers are banging the shit out of their kit, and you wouldn't want to be cycling through cues at that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    WOW! You are a nerd!
    Come on, James! Surely by now you realize that we're all nerds here.

I mean seriously though - look at how many of us are computer geeks. And how many of us also played in the band (or orchestra). And how many of us dabble in electronics. Plus we all play with lasers. Nearly all of us are well-versed in home audio. (Hell, you built your own speakers - complete with a line array - for crying out loud...) Face it dude: we all belong in a "Revenge of the Nerds" movie remake!

I had played tenor sax in school
    Yay! Single-reed woodwinds for the win! (Never could understand those oboe and bassoon players - something really "off" about that double-reed feel...)

I kept hitting the back of my left hand with my right hand stick because of the crossover between snare and high hat.
    I see your band instructor was more lenient. We were not allowed to use the matched grip - we had to use traditional. (Our Band director was a huge Buddy Rich fan.) So when we made the same mistake you did, it wasn't the back of the left hand we hit, it was either the left stick itself, or your fingers, or your left wrist. (Ouch!) Didn't take too long to figure out that if you moved the high-hat further away and raised it a little bit it didn't happen as often.

If you want to hear me on drums (and everything else) here are some examples! https://soundcloud.com/james-lehman-475223801
    Not bad, dude! Not bad at all! (Pretty damned fine, to be honest.) Clearly this is what happens when you stick with something and don't quit (like I did).

Shit - with all the talent we have here, we could start our own band. (Because that's exactly what we need, right? Another hobby to lose money with!)

Adam

I like Rock Auto, but I've never ordered a crate motor from them. (Always Summit or Jegs) I'll keep them in mind though!

Quieting a kit is always going to be hard. I've heard of people putting R-30 insulation in the walls of their practice shed and then installing drywall with anechoic foam panels over the top and it *still* being too loud! (Plus that acoustic wedge foam stuff is expensive as hell.) The mesh heads are a good idea though. Do they change the feel of the kit a lot?

I played drums for a year when I was in band (started on the alto sax the first year and then switched to drums the second year because I thought it would be easier). Never got very good at either one! But my younger son also played drums when he was in band, so we got him a starter kit and let him flail on that for a few years. I got a chance to re-live my younger years by playing on his kit, and I'll admit it was fun (even though I sucked at it).

Is that because Spaghetti doesn't have a "live" control mode? Would that be something you could add? Thinking you could map a small list of frames to an array and then trigger them in order based on a microphone input... Or maybe just go the standard route and map a bunch of frames (or cues) to the keyboard and then use a software keyboard emulator to trigger cues based on whatever external input you wanted. (This could be midi, if you wanted to spend the coin on a bunch of drum sensors, or a home-made TTL input circuit that you hack together yourself.)
    I gotta say though - the idea of a drummer controlling a laser show in real time sounds kinda cool to me...

Would need some tweaking though, because most drummers are banging the shit out of their kit, and you wouldn't want to be cycling through cues at that speed.
    The RockAuto engine I bought said "Name Brand" as the manufacturer. I wasn't sure what that meant but after digging around I found that they come from ATK/VEGE which is the same place that other places sell. There are only a couple large engine manufacturers. Anyway, RockAuto beat the prices from other places selling the same engine by at least $200.

The special cymbals I bought are full of holes to be quiet. The mesh heads are a little more bouncy than regular drum heads but otherwise very similar. With that I can beat them as hard as I want and won't bother anyone. At first I just played them until my ears started hurting. Then I got some headphones with speakers in them. That worked pretty well but I think I was annoying my neighbors since they were having to work at home during this virus thing.

Spaghetti will support MIDI input sooner or later for the live portion of it but development goes slowly these days. I think I could probably trigger it from audio alone since each drum has a distinct frequency. But like I said, development goes slowly these days. I'd rather just beat on the drums and enjoy the simple life.

I'd rather just beat on the drums and enjoy the simple life.
    Todd Rundgren said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO17hN-YvBc

Adam

I didn't play drums in school at all. When I was about 19, my younger brother (who did play percussion in school) got a set and I learned it just by going at it.

Then I got an old beater set that was a mix of Gretsch and Ludwig parts with double bass. I fixed it up to look really cool with some original art, sold it and got a seven piece Rogers from the early 70s. I kept the Gretsch Sound Edge snare and the Ludwig Speed King bass pedal and high hat stand.

When I get my audio stuff back in order, I'll upload an instrumental I wrote and played back in 1992. It's mixed meter. I did the drums in one take because there was no one there to punch me in on my multi track. Let's see if you can count it out!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's mixed meter. I did the drums in one take because there was no one there to punch me in on my multi track. Let's see if you can count it out!
    Sometimes it's fun to listen to tracks with weird time signatures. Dave Brubeck was really good at it, but there are lots of famous (and more contemporary) examples. (Money, Black Dog, The Ocean, Spoonman, etc)

Here's a fun one from Brubeck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmaC4WwspS4
    (1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8!)

Adam

Here is a fantastic example of mixed meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrL26-U4cCg

And another personal fave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6c5EvY1pQ

And this classic, filmed right here in Akron Ohio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRguZr0xCOc

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

So, depending on how long you want to keep it, and how badly you need a toy to play in the woods or the mud, you could always swap out the existing motor for a junkyard 4L. Find an old Grand that got totaled due to body damage and snatch the entire engine out... Probably won't cost you more than a grand; might be significantly less even. Just a thought!

Agreed. And to be fair, the camshaft position sensor was a known trouble-spot for the 4L too. Doing it and the crank sensor is cheap insurance.

Wow, that's awful, even for a Jeep! The worst I've even gotten was around 6 MPG, but that was on the highway pulling over 5000 lbs in a huge enclosed trailer at 65 MPH. If you're getting 2.5 MPG, either you are in 4 low all the time, or something else is wrong. Are you fouling plugs?

That makes sense. Glad you finally solved that one! (Had to be driving you crazy, right?)

What were you doing up in my neck of the woods? (And how come we never got together for a beer?)

That's what the jeep is for dude.

Adam
    Yeah the jeep is permanently locked in 4lo, and the linkage is broken. But it lives in the woods and never sees pavement so its fine. Every now and then ill climb under and put it in 4hi and end up switching it back later in the ride anyways.
    Unfortunately the 318 has a different trans as well, and it would become more of a peoject than its worth. Once it dies I'll pull any worthwhile parts, pack the shell with tannerite and BOOM
    As for SC it was when I was driving back and forth to visit my grandpa before he passed in Pawleys Island, so was trying to spend as much time there as I could with minimal stops lol
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com