Thread: similar software to ld2000 that can be obtained as a demo copy-hardware independent

Default similar software to ld2000 that can be obtained as a demo copy-hardware independent

hello everyone, I'm Tyler I am a young guy who is passionate about laser shows and I am having a bit of struggles finding a good software program that has similar features and tools like pangolins ld2000 software.

the reason being I would want to use laser designer 2000 software is because a laserist by the name of chuck rau who was a producer at a local planetarium I would visit let me come by one day to learn more about the industry and let me play with the drawing program and timeline program and I was very fascinated with how powerful and fun to use that software was!

it had been about a little over a decade since I worked with it. I am a bit frustrated though that pangolin will not make the software hardware independent in order to give the possibility of creating shows without the need of carrying around a huge board with my laptop. which leads me to my main inquiry...is there a good equivalent or similar set of programs you may suggest that I should try that have similar features for producing shows and a similar look and feel to it that does not require a piece of hardware to run?? a demo or trial preferably.

if anyone has any recommendations at all your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thank you in advance for any and all advice you re able to give.
    Tyler

Hi Tyler

You can download demo version of Quick Show or Beyond.
    You will be able to play with it but you will need hardware to be able to operate a laser projector.

I have for sale QM2000 in a laptop friendly case which is small only 190 X 190 X 40 mm.

It is LD2000 Pro. and it also have Beyond Essentials license. Only 750$.

You connect it to your laptop with net cable so you can sit in FOH and your QM2000 on stage near the laser projector.

Aricha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LapTop Friendly.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	56524

https://pangolin.com/collections/las...with-quickshow

Pangolin's quickshow is $374 right now on sale. Certainly cheapest I've ever seen it, and i've worked here for 6 years. Unlocks full ability of Quickshow and compatible with any ILDA projector out there. A lot of used FB3s sell for more than we are selling new ones right now.

Hate to sate it, but LD2000 is limited in widespread use and basically obsolete and no longer updated... we no longer make the QM2000 hardware, and offer users upgrade paths to hardware and software more relevant in this day and age. You'll find many more shows you can play back with an FB3 than you will with LD2000

As for the hardware independent, other than the limited demo versions, there are no plans to make any Pangolin software hardware independent, with the exception of a Machine license for beyond, and then we're already talking in the thousands of dollars...

Thanks and good luck
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Tell chuck I said hello. I know him well. Ryan is right. I was stubborn as hell to move off ld2000. It’s the right move. Chuck is old school. He’s more at home on a analog console so just saying. Start with the modern tools.
    Chuck is a rare one. You could give him a hene and two trash can lids and he would make nice content. In this case the tools really will be the difference between you doing this and giving up. There is another option called lsx but that is complicated as it gets. I would not start there. The price is certainly right. That’s really inexpensive jump on it.

ps if you go qm card you have to find a machine capable of a full slot isa card and then find software that will run on it. That laptop box is rare as hens teeth. If you decide to go that way grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    https://pangolin.com/collections/las...with-quickshow

Pangolin's quickshow is $374 right now on sale. Certainly cheapest I've ever seen it, and i've worked here for 6 years. Unlocks full ability of Quickshow and compatible with any ILDA projector out there. A lot of used FB3s sell for more than we are selling new ones right now.

Hate to sate it, but LD2000 is limited in widespread use and basically obsolete and no longer updated... we no longer make the QM2000 hardware, and offer users upgrade paths to hardware and software more relevant in this day and age. You'll find many more shows you can play back with an FB3 than you will with LD2000

As for the hardware independent, other than the limited demo versions, there are no plans to make any Pangolin software hardware independent, with the exception of a Machine license for beyond, and then we're already talking in the thousands of dollars...

Thanks and good luck
    Hey Ryan, thanks for the heads up That's a good enough price that I'll probably pick another one up!

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for your input. It's not that don't want to make LD hardware-independent because we're mean guys. In some ways we'd love to! But it's just not that easy...

You see, LD2000 is a platform that is really based on hardware. In the LD2000 platform, the QM2000 hardware board really does most of the work. The computer doesn't do much more than provide a user interface and "keyboard mouse and monitor". It was invented back in the days when a PC couldn't possibly do all of the real-time calculations, let alone do them for up to 30 separate projectors as LD2000 can. LD2000 is actually nearly 21 years old!

These days our software is completely the opposite. The hardware does very little, and our software now does all of the work. The number of controlled projectors has also increased from 30 (as it was in LD2000) to hundreds, and we're working on software that will control 1000 projectors! Times have really changed.

But I'll tell you what Tyler, I love your passion. And I'll tell you the story of Lyra, who was using a competitor's software, and approached us and said something like "if you let me use BEYOND I will use it to win the first place beam show competition in ILDA" -- an award that LOBO had historically won year after year after year. Lyra lived up to the promises, and not only won the ILDA Award, but also now has laser shows on YouTube that have more than 1 million views!

Please get in touch with us directly to have a discussion of how Pangolin tools plus your passion can equal great results. I'm not saying we're willing to blindly give you software for free and for an unlimited amount of time, but I'd like to explore the topic of how we might work together to see what you can do with BEYOND and -- if things work out, see if you can become the next Lyra, or maybe better yet, the first Tyler!

As a spam-avoidance method, we don't publish email addresses. And the main Pangolin website only offers the ability to reach departments, not people. So you can reach out to me directly by using the contact form on my personal web site here:
    https://williambenner.com/contact/

Best regards,

William Benner