Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing Spectra Physics T40-8SS power supply

Default Testing Spectra Physics T40-8SS power supply

I have Spectra Physics T40-8SS power supply with two FCBar diodes that I would like to test to make sure diodes are operational. I do not have laser head nor control unit. I turn on T40 with interlock jumper installed and key in ON position. Unit goes into boot mode, then cooler test and then gets stuck on "Boot Error Close Interlocks to Continue" message. What other interlocks do I need to satisfy to lit up the diodes? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spectra Physics-8.jpg  

Spectra Physics-9.jpg  

Spectra Physics-10.jpg  

There is an interlock in the 26-pin 'laser head' connector. I don't have a T40 handy to check which pins, but it should be on sams laser faq somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    There is an interlock in the 26-pin 'laser head' connector. I don't have a T40 handy to check which pins, but it should be on sams laser faq somewhere.
    Thank you, trying to find pin-out of 26 pin laser head connector, so far nothing.

Actually, just found pinout in Sam's FAQ, will try soon, thanks again

The following table lists the jumpers that were needed to enable the boot sequence to complete successfully.
    Connector Type Jumper
    -------------------------------------------------
    Interlock AMP Mate-N-Lock 2 pin 1 to 2
    Remote HD15 8 to 13
    Laser Head HD26 9 to 18
    Analog HD26 7 to 8

After satisfying all interlocks the power supply finishes reboot cycle, but stays with laser diodes off. I guess it is expecting a command over remote connector or serial port to activate diodes. I don't have laser head or remote control unit. Is there way to turn on diodes by internal jumper or sending command over serial interface from Windows terminal?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spectra Physics-11.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	56572

You keep saying that you're trying to "turn the laser diodes on", but you also said that you don't have the laser head...

You do realize that the laser diodes are in the head, right?

With no head connected, there aren't any diodes connected to the PSU, which means no current is flowing, which means the power supply can't do anything. It's an open circuit. Or am I missing something here?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You keep saying that you're trying to "turn the laser diodes on", but you also said that you don't have the laser head...

You do realize that the laser diodes are in the head, right?

With no head connected, there aren't any diodes connected to the PSU, which means no current is flowing, which means the power supply can't do anything. It's an open circuit. Or am I missing something here?

Adam
    This unit does have two 20W laser diodes inside with two optical links going to external laser head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spectra Physics-6.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	56573

OK, that makes sense.

In that case I agree that you're missing the "turn laser on" signal from the remote, but without a copy of the manual you have no way of knowing how that signal should be sent. I would expect that there would also be a current / power setting signal coming from that remote that you will need to replicate as well.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    OK, that makes sense.

In that case I agree that you're missing the "turn laser on" signal from the remote, but without a copy of the manual you have no way of knowing how that signal should be sent. I would expect that there would also be a current / power setting signal coming from that remote that you will need to replicate as well.

Adam
    Thank you, I have manual with Command/Query/Response Format defined over serial port (starting on page 6.11). I guess, I need to experiment with laptop in terminal mode, set communication parameters and try to send ASCII command ON. Never done that before...

Will try to use shareware 232Analyzer software from https://www.commfront.com/pages/3-ea...-rs232-devices

Millennia Pro s-Series.pdf
    Last edited by AP2020; 05-20-2020 at 07:06.

I would expect that the serial link would be used for troubleshooting or monitoring/data logging purposes (thus the command/querry/response format). It seems unlikely that the serial link would also be used to actually start or stop the laser and control the power (diode current).

Instead, I would expect the start/stop signals and the current control signal to be on the remote connector. The fact that there is an interlock on just the remote connector strongly supports this idea. (You need the remote connected to satisfy the interlocks, but you don't need a serial connection.)

Sniffing on the serial port certainly won't hurt anything, and you might be able to learn some more about the various operating modes of the unit, but I doubt that you'll be able to control anything.

Does you manual have any further information about the remote connector? Barring that, does it have any information about the remote unit / box itself? (A schematic would be invaluable...)

Worst case, if your manual isn't of any help, you may still be OK if Krazer (or another member) has access to a similar remote unit. In that event it's possible you could reverse-engineer one for your unit with their help.

Adam