Thread: Powering DT50B with two PSU`s - wireing assistance

Question Powering DT50B with two PSU`s - wireing assistance

I just got a set of new DT50B. It arriwed with 2 pcs of 24V DC PSU`s insted of 1 pcs that i have for all other scannersets. The PSU`s don`t have the normal +/common/- wireing but just plain positive and negative terminals.

So in my mind, I can wire this up hooking up both PSU`s with the nevative terminal bind togheter as common, and use the positive terminal from each PSU as for + and - for the 24V.

Will this work, or will it fry the controller?

B.reg
    Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    I can wire this up hooking up both PSU`s with the nevative terminal bind togheter as common, and use the positive terminal from each PSU as for + and - for the 24V.
    Not quite. If you do this, both positive terminals will be +24 volts. What you need is a +24 volt supply and a -24 volt supply.

Instead, you want to connect the positive terminal of one PSU to the negative terminal of the other PSU. This common connection point will be your new DC ground. Then the remaining positive terminal is the +24 volt supply, and the remaining negative terminal (on the other PSU) is the -24 volt supply. Ground is in the middle.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    So in my mind, I can wire this up hooking up both PSU`s with the nevative terminal bind togheter as common, and use the positive terminal from each PSU as for + and - for the 24V.

Will this work, or will it fry the controller?
    Wiring them as you describe will likely fry the drivers, at the very least the negative voltage regulator will be toast. Wire them in series as buffo describes.

Default Drawing 2X PSU to driver

Thanks for the advice.

I did not think of wireing in series. But it makes perfect sense when you point it out. We are actually in need of 48V as that is the difference beween -24V to +24V.
    Just to make sure i made a simple drawing on how i understand your suggestions.

Both PSU wired to 230V AC and....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2X PSU.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	56592

Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

You got it! Your picture is exactly how you want to wire up the DC side.

I would avoid calling the middle connection "neutral" though... Neutral is normally associated with 120 Volt AC circuits, so to avoid confusion you don't normally see that term used when discussing DC circuits. Instead, I would label it "DC Ground".

Adam