Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Back then...this is what we did...

I love this thread, than you for the inspiration!
    I have collected some vintage scanners and beamtables so maybe time to put someting like your creations together? Without gas lasers though...

Thanks for sharing all of this. very cool stuff.

A lot I Didn't know and nice to learn.

The coolest thread on PL. Thanks for sharing all of this really intricate details of your projector. It is a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    The coolest thread on PL. Thanks for sharing all of this really intricate details of your projector. It is a treat!
    It is my pleasure to share this information, as well as rewarding to know it is appreciated by others.

I had noticed in another thread of mine where I provided YouTube links that one link was no longer viable. I've repaired that link today.

The thread was here https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...old-days/page2

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I love this thread, I am not worthy...
    Below is a little "In House" joke...
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dwanyes World.png  

Last edited by mixedgas; 12-02-2020 at 11:13.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I love this thread, I am not worthy...
    Below is a little "In House" joke...
    Steve

"That ain't workin'.....that's the way we do it. Get your mirrors for nothing...get your photons for a fee."

Re: DIY MM-1 Mounts

"Necessity is the mother of desperation" is how the saying should go.

Digging around in one my old "laser projector stuff" boxes, wrapped neatly in sheets of paper towels were what I remembered as my horde of Newport/NRC MM-1 and MM-2 mounts. I was needing to put into use some of my MM-1s for a new RGB projector build with my DT40 scanners I bought two years ago. Turns out I had exactly three "true" MM-1s and many more DIY MM-1s I'd forgotten about. EDIT: The photos of one of my laser projectors on Page 3 of this thread show them in use.

Here is a sequence of photos I took of one of them posed in relationship to a real MM-1. I must say the DIY mounts worked more than well enough for something not quite as smooth and accurate as an MM-1. I used 1" wide x .25" thick aluminum stock, cut down into two pieces, one 1" x 1" for the face and another 1" x 1.168" for the back. I'd found some short compression springs similar to the ones used in an MM-1 at a local Dallas hardware store named Elliot's Hardware, one of THE best TRUE hardware stores every.

My DIY mounts used one compression spring compared to the MM-1's two springs. Where the MM-1 used one ball bearing in one corner between the two metal halves I used a rounded off 4-40 machine screw on a 45 deg. angle to one corner and the compression spring right next to it. The two "adjustment" screws were 8-32 machine screws. The attached photos should help show the visual details and relationships. The threaded mounting hole for the DIY mounts were 4-40 threads as I used 4-40 threaded metal hex stand-offs for their support posts. The hex size of these stand-offs were larger than the standard 4-40 hex size but the male threads on the one end was 4-40, as was the female thread on the opposite end.

A 1/8" pop rivet was used to secure each end of the spring onto its backside. The pop-rivet sat in a recessed hole on each facing metal halves but was not recessed on the visible side of each half. As a result, two metal washers were glued with 2 part epoxy to the face adjacent to the pop-rivet that bulged from the mirror side, along with the mirror, so the mirror sat reasonably parallel to the 1" x 1" metal face.

The aluminum front and back was degreased and sprayed with flat black paint, then assembled...the poor man's black anodizing agent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY-MM1-1c.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	57367 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY-MM1-2c.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	57368

Name:	DIY-MM1-3c.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	57369 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY-MM1-5c.jpg 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	57371

Name:	DIY-MM1-6c.jpg 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	57372 Attachment 57374

Name:	DIY-MM1-8c.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	57373
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY-MM1-4c.jpg  

DIY-MM1-9c.jpg  

Last edited by lasermaster1977; 12-04-2020 at 15:58.

Default same from me THANK YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Alden,

Thank you for making this interesting and informative thread. I really enjoyed reading about and seeing pictures of the First iterations and what a difference between then and now. Looking forward to more pictures and continuation.

And be careful.
    ^^^^ what he said.& do be careful -hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-