Thread: Upgrading from laserworld cs2000

Default Upgrading from laserworld cs2000

Hello,

I am new here and was looking around online for an upgrade of my 2 lasers.

I have 2 laserworld cs2000 lasers and 2 pangolin fb3 controllers. I notice that when i make a beam its not realy a nice round dot. Also the test patrans dont look like they should. The spelling top on the test partern could be more perfect.

I think its just because i need a more powerfull laser. I tried changing some settings but i cant get it any better.

I am considering upgrading to the Laserworld PL 10.000 or perhaps the 20.000. I do see manny topics about laserworld not being that good but its all from 2009 / 2010. Can anyone give me some advice? I use lasers for dance party's and want to start with projecting some christmas stuff this yea on the house.

Sorry if my english is not all that good, its not my native language.

Lightbulb

Increasing the power of the lasers in a projector will not improve the looks of the test pattern. A poor looking test pattern is almost always the fault of the scanners, although incorrect color timing can also cause problems.

You may need to tune your scanners, or you could simply be driving them too hard. Worst case you might need to install better scanners. But it is not a power problem with the lasers.

Can you post a picture of your projectors displaying the ILDA test pattern? That's the one that looks like this picture:

The ILDA test pattern is designed to be scanned at 30Kpps and 8 degrees scan angle. So if the projector is exactly 2 meters from the wall, the test pattern should only be 28 cm wide and 28 cm tall. If you can post a picture of the test pattern under these conditions it will tell us a lot about your scanners.

Regarding the laser spot not being round, do you notice that one side of the spot is one color, and the other side is another color? If so, then this simply means that you need to re-adjust the alignment of the red, green, and blue lasers inside the projector.

Adam

PS: Welcome to PhotonLexicon! Please fill out your profile information when you get a chance so people can see your location.

Thanks for your reply. I updated my info.

I just tried this test patern but i cant fotohgraph it. Its way to flickering. Also the circle is not a circle but look like a 6 or a 9, a circle with a tail. I have this on both projectors.

Also with the test patern that says TOP. Its just not clean TOP but wil lines sticking out if you know what i mean. I am trying to photograph it but you will only see parts of it.

It says its a 30k 4 degree scanner.

I put it down now to 12k and now it looks alot better but flickering.

Thumbs up

Thanks for filling out your profile. You are in the Netherlands! That's fortunate; we have *several* experienced members in your area. With luck you may be able to meet with some of them in person at some point. If you get such an opportunity, I suggest you take it! You can learn a lot from some of the senior laserists near you.

Getting back to your projector, from your description it sounds like most of your problems are related to your scanners. I suggest you read through this thread first, as the discussion explains many of the potential problems that you appear to be having with your scanners. The fact that the circle at the center of the test pattern looks like the number "6" when you scan at 30K but starts to look more like a real circle when you slow the scan speed down to 12K is the key point. This means that your scanners are really 12K or 15K scanners, and not true 30K scanners.

Unfortunately, many Laserworld projectors in the 2 and 3 watt range have very inexpensive scanners installed. However, you can replace them with faster scanners. A new set of true 30K scanners will cost ~ $250.

Regarding the "tails" that you saw on the "TOP" test pattern, this could be due to the inexpensive scanners, but it's more likely to be caused by an incorrect "Blanking Shift" setting. (This is sometimes referred to as "Blanking Offset".) This is a setting which is adjustable in your laser show software.

The Blanking Shift setting controls the delay between the X/Y point data and the color signal data that is sent to the projector. The idea is that the projector's response to changes in the color signals will be more or less instantaneous, but the response to changes in the X/Y position signals will take more time because the scanners have to physically move the mirrors to the new location. So you must delay the color signals slightly to give the scanners enough time to move to the next point.

As a general rule, a good starting point for the blanking shift setting is 3 points delayed. However, if you have very slow scanners, you may need to increase this setting to 5 or 6 points. Try increasing the blanking shift setting in your software and see if the "tails" on the test pattern get shorter.

Note, however, that if you are scanning too wide or scanning too fast, you may still see some tails on the image even with the blanking shift set at the optimal setting.

Adam