Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: And before we did lasers...we did Light Boxes...

Default Progress...slow and steady wins the race (maybe) but when your old it sounds great!

Partitions milled and lightly sanded for painting. Can't spray paint the partitions with flat white until a day or two of warmer weather comes.
    Maybe I can begin soldering the LED strip sections together for each partition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightBoxLED-8c.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	58613

Looking great.
    Do you still take orders for light boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by MariusTitulescu View Post
    Looking great.
    Do you still take orders for light boxes?

Thank you.

Well...I've never taken orders but thank you for asking. I've made only three of these boxes, the original one, mine, that I made back in the mid-70's (shown in the YouTube video) , a 2nd one that I gave to my brother about the same time and this one.

Default Slowly we move, and progress still grows...mostly

Acrylic partitions are now spray painted and ready for the WS2812B segments to be adhered to each partition, then wired in series. (oh that'll be fun...and painstakingly slow)
    The top lid is removed for clarity...and the black partition isn't quite seated fully in its slots.

Just from a video filming standpoint I found that with the front section facing the camera painted black it results in the best viewing/filming & color illumination experience. Originally the front partition was flat white on both sides and gave the best aesthetic appearance when off and just sitting on a table.

Name:	20220729_175438c.jpg 
Size:	1,022.7 KB 
ID:	59050

Then there is the programming. But first I'm just going to test it with the SP106E RGB controller and hope that I will be so amazed that I won't need to do program interfacing. But from what I've seen of the SP106E responding to ambient music and endowing the LED strip with it's "control", I doubt it will be what I'm wanting.

very cool looking so far

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Acrylic partitions are now spray painted and ready for the WS2812B segments to be adhered to each partition, then wired in series. (oh that'll be fun...and painstakingly slow)
    The top lid is removed for clarity...and the black partition isn't quite seated fully in its slots.

Just from a video filming standpoint I found that with the front section facing the camera painted black it results in the best viewing/filming & color illumination experience. Originally the front partition was flat white on both sides and gave the best aesthetic appearance when off and just sitting on a table.

Name:	20220729_175438c.jpg 
Size:	1,022.7 KB 
ID:	59050

Then there is the programming. But first I'm just going to test it with the SP106E RGB controller and hope that I will be so amazed that I won't need to do program interfacing. But from what I've seen of the SP106E responding to ambient music and endowing the LED strip with it's "control", I doubt it will be what I'm wanting.
    Custom build - 1 watt rgb laser projector - saturn scanners, 6 single-mode diodes
    Kvant - Clubmax 1800
    Pangolin Beyond, LSX, Maxwell, Laserdock, Etherdream, Prototype Apple II Laser DAC
    Various Pointers and Lab lasers along w/Diodes, Arrays, OPSL, DPSS, HeNe and Argons.
    Lasos Air Cooled Argon w/plexiglass covered glass bell
    SP-127

I build one of these for my son (Dan) last fall and gave it to him as a Christmas present. I've been meaning to put up a post detailing the construction process, but I haven't found the time.

Here is a picture of the completed project:

Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/dDmqG0a.jpeg

I used a single 5-meter long strip of WS-2815 RGB LEDs and the SP-107E controller.

When I finally get around to putting the construction post together I will include video of it in action. It's actually pretty damned cool, but building the thing was a huge pain in the ass and it took me a lot longer than I thought it would.

I want to build one for myself, but I've been delaying it because I dread all the work! (Pro tip: Cutting the circles so they are even is *not* as easy as it sounds, and wiring everything up ends up being more than a little frustrating due to how tight everything is.) I agree that the front panel should be painted black for better contrast.

Also, more LEDs are better. The LED strip I used was 16.4 ft long with 300 pixels, but if I make another one I think I will go with the 600 pixel version of the same strip so the output is even brighter. (You can always dim them using the control app on your phone.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I build one of these for my son (Dan) last fall and gave it to him as a Christmas present. I've been meaning to put up a post detailing the construction process, but I haven't found the time.

Here is a picture of the completed project:
    Adam
    That looks really nice, Adam! Can't wait to see some "action videos". The size of my "original box" was dictated by how large of a diameter hole my drill press's sliding-arm circle cutter could cut.

I would agree that the bigger the "box" the more exponential the work to make it is, along with the more il-lumen-ation is required. 300 WS-2815s are a bunch! 600 would be mind-blowing!

I'm glad to see new versions come to "light".

Edit:
    In contrast, my first programmable LED WS-2812 version will have only 84 individual RGB diodes.
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 08-11-2022 at 14:09.

That looks really nice, Adam! Can't wait to see some "action videos". The size of my "original box" was dictated by how large of a diameter hole my drill press's sliding-arm circle cutter could cut.

I would agree that the bigger the "box" the more exponential the work to make it is, along with the more il-lumen-ation is required. 300 WS-2815s are a bunch! 600 would be mind-blowing!

I'm glad to see new versions come to "light".

Edit:
    In contrast, my first programmable LED WS-2812 version will have only 84 individual RGB diodes.
    I found a gel to rgb chart a few years back. Gives 0-255 for rgb to recreate all the Apollo gel sheets. I wanted to recreate my old box where I used gels over bulbs. It was fun coming up with color pallets.

Default Teaser...

Finally...a number of other projects are done and I'm back on this. I'm wiring it up.

Stay tuned.

Default I'm ecstatic and extremely pleased at the outcome..holy s**t

Finally...a number of other projects are done and I'm back on this. I'm wiring it up.

Stay tuned.
    I was honestly dreading the tediousness and the amount of wiring involved to series connect all the RGB LED sections but pleased I was able to "get 'er done" in an afternoon and evening, today. The big pay-off for doing so today was to see whether the brightness tests I did with the LED strips proved fruitful. Video coming as an addendum to this post after tonight's Yellowstone season opener.

As promised, post Yellowstone season premiere, here is the first test video. Details are noted in YouTube video description. This is an identical dimensioned Light Box as my original and uses programmable RGB LEDs instead of random blinking C7 Christmas light bulbs. The WB2812B LED strip was powered and controlled by an SP106E in Auto mode. A total of 84 individual RGB LEDs are used. My next video test will be using the SP106E in audio control mode just out of curiosity. Even with room lights on, the LED intensity is rather remarkable and gratifying. I hope this lights up your day.

https://youtu.be/JB2Lmp-8fTA

Another photon "toy" to play with and explore computer controlled lighting effects that accompany musical selections.
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 11-13-2022 at 22:33.