Thread: Touch Designer

Default Touch Designer

Hey all, curious if anyone has used touch designer in tandem with a laser?

I have been having a good bit of fun since purchasing my cheap laser from aliexpress (get the limitations I pay for). One of the tools I came across in my searches was Touch Desginer. Free program for non-commercial use with node based flows. This program, paired with laser, Helios DAC (USB to ILDA) and an old Microsoft Kinect have proved very fun. I'll share a video below of one of the flows I made which used the left hand to draw (later switched because easier to draw with dominant hand) and moving the right hand up and down will change the color. I was thinking of creating one that would use a piano outputting midi into the program. The keys on the piano will trigger laser beams to shoot at different colors waves, etc. Not sure yet.

Anyways, thought it would be cool to share since I have not seen any posts about it on here. Picture of the flow included as well. Don't mind my commentary on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMPGUaIUMI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Annotation 2020-06-09 122247.jpg  

Thanks for sharing! That's pretty cool. I've seen the Kinect used with other software (Beyond, for example), but I think this is the first "roll your own" solution I've seen using touch designer.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Thanks for sharing! That's pretty cool. I've seen the Kinect used with other software (Beyond, for example), but I think this is the first "roll your own" solution I've seen using touch designer.

Adam
    It is really cool all you can do with touch designer and a laser. I have been brainstorming different ways to use it for live generative display which is affected by music, but my ideas are limited . I did make a cool shape selector with lots of different toggles that is fun to mess with. I will post other cool stuff if I make it too. If anyone uses touchdesigner, I can also share the files for you to play around with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Annotation 2020-06-21 102641.png  

i have just started toying around with TD implementation with my three 2W lasercubes. i would love to crack open your TOE files if you don't mind sharing.

Me too, please!

A member of my team is getting into this.

Thanks!

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Hi I just saw this! I like Touch Designer for some stuff but it's like joining a secret society to use it.

Here's a link to the Kinect show with TD that I did at Luna Fete New Orleans last Dec. -
    https://www.laserspectacles.com/2020...ive-laser-fun/

I just offered to head up a seminar for the upcoming ILDA Conference about Touch Designer - we'll see what happens.

- Tim

Didn’t dr lava do something like that about ten years ago

dr lava did this with Touch Designer?

I'm not saying this is anything unique, it's just what I did for a TD project. It's a great way to learn how TD treats data, and how fast the whole program works.

The funny thing was that at this arts festival... seemed like the majority of the other installations were using a Kinect driven interactive video as their source. It was the year of Kinect!
    1st Place Laser Jockey ILDA 2013-15, working for the ultimate fusion of lasers and music

Hey all! Saw a few requests to share some toe files. Here is my github repo. I am very new to github so don't mind if things are incomplete at all. The laser shapes toe should work fine as of my last testing but may need some tweaking. Also, the flow of it is all over the place as I am still new to touch designer and even setting up sliders has its caveats.

Anyway, let me know what ya think or if something does not work right.