Thread: Fan or blower attachment for 643 series ion laser

Laser Warning Fan or blower attachment for 643 series ion laser

Hello,

My Omni 643 krypton argon laser didn't come with any cooling system or way to hook one up. Currently I'm using a bunch of fans and a cardboard box to cool it sufficiently but I would like something a bit more convenient if anyone has one they could rip out of a dead model or just doesn't need. I added a picture of mine with my hand and what I'm hoping to find. I'll take with or without a fan if you have it.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (24).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	56694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	56696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	56695

Hey I am sure I have some. I will be home over the weekend

Where are you? I have several, but shipping won't be cheap outside of the UK

Quote Originally Posted by NobleGas View Post
    Where are you? I have several, but shipping won't be cheap outside of the UK
    I live in the usa so yea, shipping would probably be a bit much haha. I appreciate it though.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Fans are usually a Commair Rotron P2B3, or PT2B3, or the slightly smaller diameter, but actually more far CFM, Pabst equavalent,
    For Laser show sevice we always tried to boost the cooling using extra fans, but this takes some thought. Avoid ducting if you can because it drastically lowers the airflow. In an emergency, a Dayton 4C442 works, but is loud and can have annoying vibrations.

Make sure you have at least a short plenum between the fan body and the laser so the fan gets full drought and the airflow at the lid exit is less turbulant. I used to use 1-1/2 to 2 inches of PVC drainage pipe, One other thing, when bolting the laser to a baseplate, make sure the air truely exits the projector, and does not just loop back into the slots and heat things up inside the laser head. The better the cooling, the longer the tube life.

Use a 4 pin connector for the fan to satisfy the interlock, I've seen more then one laser lost to running without a fan, when the overtemp interlock switch is old and crusty, and fails.

There are many fans rated for > 250 CFM, but only a few that can start and obtain full circulation against a load of cooling fin pressure drop. . Rotron Patriot (PT2B3) is one of them.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-12-2020 at 20:24.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Fans are usually a Commair Rotron P2B3, or PT2B3, or the slightly smaller diameter, but actually more far CFM, Pabst equavalent,
    For Laser show sevice we always tried to boost the cooling using extra fans, but this takes some thought. Avoid ducting if you can because it drastically lowers the airflow. In an emergency, a Dayton 4C442 works, but is loud and can have annoying vibrations.

Make sure you have at least a short plenum between the fan body and the laser so the fan gets full drought and the airflow at the lid exit is less turbulant. I used to use 1-1/2 to 2 inches of PVC drainage pipe, One other thing, when bolting the laser to a baseplate, make sure the air truely exits the projector, and does not just loop back into the slots and heat things up inside the laser head. The better the cooling, the longer the tube life.

Use a 4 pin connector for the fan to satisfy the interlock, I've seen more then one laser lost to running without a fan, when the overtemp interlock switch is old and crusty, and fails.

There are many fans rated for > 250 CFM, but only a few that can start and obtain full circulation against a load of cooling fin pressure drop. . Rotron Patriot (PT2B3) is one of them.

Steve
    I updated my setup to a W2E143-AB15-01 fan I took from my less cool argon laser (now quite literally heh) and hot glued it to a separating piece of a lit i chopped up and cut holes in. this should have enough to cool the laser permanently but i'd still rather be safe than sorry haha. these things ain't cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	56734

There is also an remote fan option in a separate enclosure, it's a centrifugal unit and it shifts a lot of air!

There is also an remote fan option in a separate enclosure, it's a centrifugal unit and it shifts a lot of air!
    OOo sounds super nice. Any idea where I could find one?

Quote Originally Posted by lasingfox View Post
    OOo sounds super nice. Any idea where I could find one?
    They do appear on ebay and apparently no one wants them so they tend to be cheap; I'll look for the model number as it may help your search.

They do appear on ebay and apparently no one wants them so they tend to be cheap; I'll look for the model number as it may help your search.
    Perfect! thanks so much.