Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beam Brush Graphics show

Default Beam Brush Graphics show

Made a show for beam brush sometime ago in cooperation with Pangolin Laser systems.
    This was custom software provided by Pangolin laser systems (thank you alexey for working around the clock).
    Using a new z-axis renderer where in some scenes I used that depth data to utilise with the beam brush. (this show contains a lot of true Z data).

Note this is still early beam brush show design where the idea was to showcase,try out things, try out the tools to get inspired and provide feedback and more.
    The video is unlisted but is welcome to be shared

The show was programmed remotely and send to pangolin for recording afterwards (A lot of back and forward video sharing was done).
    More beam brush shows are coming soon where I will take my time more on and with new findings on it all.
    Last edited by masterpj; 06-11-2020 at 18:35.

And here a graphic enhanced with beam brush. The colors being a bit on the outside is because the projector is a retrofit. In the near future a laser module will be designed that is created with beam brush taken in account
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeamBrushie.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	1,013.0 KB 
ID:	56710

Really cool stuff!!!
    Beam brush has been around for many many years, but this is the first time I've seen it used.

Excellent work PJ and the Pangolin team.

Chris

Looks great PJ!

Chris, this is the first use of our "latest device" which BB showed at Ilda. At least in terms of Pangolin devices, all previous generations had various problems or limitations. This one is in "beta" but hopefully finally going to production soon - as of now Pangolin has 5 units, two beta testers have a unit each, and a major touring company has ~15 "high power" units.

Looking forward to all the art the community is able to make with them while in Beta and once they hit the mainstream!
    Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Default Wonderful tool, but...

The stills and video are all quite wonderful, but I'd love to see the Beam Brush also applied to abstract graphics. I think it could really shine in less representational presentations. Do you have any examples of this? I'd very much like to see those! It would be like having dynamic scan-glasses. The possibilities take my breath away.

Keep up the great work!

Ron

Jaw on the floor! Really like the possibilities. People will get more sophisticated as time goes on. It’s like granting flatworld the third dimension. It will take time to understand what that means.

I think the real measure will be when shadow and brush are messed and mixed. Say a sphere in grid format where distance on the back of the sphere is brushed and intensity and subtle color are used.

It looks pretty cool. How much does distance to the wall affect the divergence of the beam? Does the beam brush need calibration through software similar to keystone calibration? Seems like as the distance to wall or scan angle is adjusted it would throw off the amount of brushing and it would need to be compensated.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    It looks pretty cool. How much does distance to the wall affect the divergence of the beam? Does the beam brush need calibration through software similar to keystone calibration? Seems like as the distance to wall or scan angle is adjusted it would throw off the amount of brushing and it would need to be compensated.
    I just started a dual Saturn Beambrush build, so I don’t have practical experience yet, however I understand that the outer edges of the beam get the most ‘diverged’. Therefore good beam overlap / matching divergence is preferred. A wider incoming beam is also useful as less ‘beambrushing’ is required to get a wider outgoing beam.

PJ or Lyra are better suited to speak to the planned Beyond aspects, but you can control the amount of max divergence through software and/or hardware settings. Obviously projecting at a significant angle will exacerbate any misalignment or poor overlap of the beams just like we all see with our current projectors. I don’t see that there is a software solution for this although I have read about optical correction/scanning techniques in Bill Benner’s scanning book and the laser encyclopedia. I’m not sure that such techniques would be warranted for the Beambrush target market though.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You may want to mildly spatial filter upstream of beam brush for that "Plantarium Perfection". Just to knock off the rough edges.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Wonder if the system lets you fine tune your focus on a screen at distance even if you are not brushing. Can you control each color independently for matching divergence of the beams individually. Sounds expensive but would be cool. Guess tweaking the collimator is much cheaper.