Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions - Making directional speaker - annoying neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    A "Baby Shark" loop would get under anyone's skin.
    It keeps out the homeless...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/17/baby-s...-florida-park/

Steve, this is bad news when it falls in wrong hands and it has fallen into the wrong hands. When you cannot SEE the arrays or whatever this is, how can it be reported? What if you don't have civil lawyer in the budget? What if landlords and cops don't care? What to tell the EPA? Is there a way to reverse the attacks? Any solution, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The cool trick with a soundlazer or the much better commercial unit it emulates is to bounce it off a wall so they can't see the array... The older commercial unit has a really cool DSP in it that takes the edgy roughness out of the demodulated sound in your ear by applying some FM and other tricks. Range is optimistically 7-10 meters at best.

"Hi There, I'm the Lord Your God, See that Girl over There, Go Meet your Wife", is what my one employer did to me with the museum grade model and a bounce. Well before the Hebrew National hotdog commercial on TV with the similar line. If you keep the message ultra short, the psychological effect is amazing, it falls apart of you repeat the message or play music.

So when I worked for the competitor of LRAD, I learned much about arrays. While a four or seven element line array in a simple MDF box will more then do what you want, I suggest a three by four array of piezo horn tweeters or three inch mids. This gives you elegant brute force in the two to four Kilohertz range. It has some lobes and really nice distortion if you use the mid range speakers. I'd suggest the sounds of crying babies and a slow sweep from two to four KC over about ten seconds. Don't bother with Bass, it just spreads out without some really careful cabinetry and huge boxes or very tall arrays. Just build it into the center of a thick piece of plywood roughly the size of a Roman shield. The shield size piece of wood or thick plastic aids in reducing the lobes. For a short range array, you do not have to do the fancy spacing calculations or time align the drivers by curving or slanting the speaker face.

You'll need the shield when they come over to try to beat the crap out of you for using it on them. That is when you go from 20 watts of drive to 100. Multilayer carbon fiber replaces the wood or plastic quite nicely. A close fitting cover on the back is all that is needed, with a tiny vent port.

I cant go into much more detail, because how you get a safe front to back ratio to protect the operator is covered by NDA and patents. Except in the kind of population that disturbs neighbors like that, arrays have a bad habit of making them angry the next day, after the ringing stops in their ears, and to a certain extent, yours.

The smaller products I worked on ended up being sold more for urban rescue communications , air to ground communications for rescue aircraft, and attack warnings for incoming fire, or as directional warning sirens for trains, then for dispersing crowds. The larger products, using arrays and acoustic lenses, however, did excellent dispersing. If you have not noticed that less then lethal acoustics use is usually backed up by a large anti riot team, there is a reason for that. In other words, DONT.

This is one time I REALLY suggest intervention by a civil lawyer, local government , landlords, the local EPA or cops. Forget the array and take the higher moral ground.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Steve, this is bad news when it falls in wrong hands and it has fallen into the wrong hands. When you cannot SEE the arrays or whatever this is, how can it be reported? What if you don't have civil lawyer in the budget? What if landlords and cops don't care? What to tell the EPA? Is there a way to reverse the attacks? Any solution, advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ear plugs. Noise cancelling headphones. Double paned windows. Alcohol.