Thread: Melles Griot 532 series argon ion laser (badly misaligned)

Default Melles Griot 532 series argon ion laser (badly misaligned)

Hello,

I am selling my first working argon ion laser named grumpy with only 1.47k hours on him. He came with an attachment for a blower hose which I have now replaced with a suitable >280CFM fan and added vibration isolation posts and random foam for a good seal. This laser is very hacked together and repaired just from my own use with the fan being the main thing but I have fixed the light sensor a couple times, haha.

I also swapped around mirrors from another laser because I was toying to see if I could get more wavelengths out of it and I did. So the mirrors currently that are in it are the OC from the original and a HR from another 532 series (which you can see by the different color holders). If you want the original mirrors I might be willing but i'd be sacrificing my other ion lasers multiple lines so i might charge more for that. the current mirrors should give single line 488nm but i cant really check and you may have some other lines from imperfections like the other mirror.

Now to the disappointing part.. The whole tube and its supports are terribly misaligned which is a mistake of mine since when I got it originally, it was being grumpy starting up (hence the name), I had thought the pressure was just too low from sitting around even though it only had about 1.4k hours on it at the time. So, I took the tube out of its holder and then, well... you get the idea. I eventually tried putting it back into place and firing it up and it started first try which was amazing. I let it run for a couple hours and I've been running it monthly ever since while trying to realign it with a HeNe and slight adjustments. I am very inexperienced with this and have the jankiest setup ever so that is probably why I am struggling so much and decided to sell it to someone who is more skilled.

I'm not looking for too much for this laser since it is gonna be a pain to realign so maybe around $100 + whatever shipping will be. I'm willing to negotiate if shipping is gonna be too much or whatever. I just want my grumpy to be in good hands, haha

Here are some pictures of the housing and all that garbage along with the hookup for a hose if you'd like me to send that instead or with the fan. I got pictures of all the labels and interesting bits since I always like that if you want any more pictures of anything or any more info, let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	56902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	56903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3.jpg 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	56904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g4.jpg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	56905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g5.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	56906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g6.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	958.4 KB 
ID:	56907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g7.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	56908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g8.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	56909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g9.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	56910

These aren't too hard to align. For air cooled argons, I never used a hene. Just a fluorescent yellow or orange post-it and a LPM for walking the mirrors, once lasting.

This is a really good deal. I wish I had room in my garage.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    These aren't too hard to align. For air cooled argons, I never used a hene. Just a fluorescent yellow or orange post-it and a LPM for walking the mirrors, once lasting.

This is a really good deal. I wish I had room in my garage.
    these aren't too hard to align if it were only the mirrors out of wack. you need to raise and lower the support posts holding the tube which is impossible to do while the laser is running (safely at least) which is what makes this difficult. I use my hene to get it close to the right alignment, fire it up and fuss with the mirrors and the realize they arent anywhere near where they should be. the whole process of removing all the wiring and ripping out the controls just to adjust it slightly to realize its wrong is why i'm hoping to sell it to someone more experience and with better equipment haha.

Default Krypton variety of that

Ive got the Kr+ version of that sitting in my garage. Someday I will combine it with one of my ILT 5500 Ar+ and make that *dream whitelight* table.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    Ive got the Kr+ version of that sitting in my garage. Someday I will combine it with one of my ILT 5500 Ar+ and make that *dream whitelight* table.
    oh wow. krypton ion lasers are rare. I've got a mixed gas KrAr ion but those are somewhat common in comparison. what wavelengths do you get out of yours?

Default Kr ion

its set for 647 red.
    I have it powered up but it does not light, one of the interlocks is open & Im not sure which one.
    Will there be three phase!!!!