Thread: Need Help: Universal Voltronics Laser Power Supply Wiring

Default Need Help: Universal Voltronics Laser Power Supply Wiring

Hi,

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for a Universal Voltronics BRC-50CT-35-HL2 Power Supply? This power supply is used to power a Laserscope Paragon Laser Tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	56917

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	56918

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	56919

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	56920

Thank you!

Default Universal Voltronics BRC

I have a couple of huge Northwest CO2 lasers that are using a similar supply. These use the BRC-50-35 power supply.
    The CO2 tubes are about 5" diameter and about 5 feet long, all housed in a nice 'compact' box.

I will try to dig a little more into it.

-George

I appreciate your effort.

I actually tried to find information on the web and found that Universal Voltronics was bought by Unipower. I then called Unipower and got connected to a very helpful Tech Support person. He called his contacts within the company and was not able to find a manual.

You are my last hope.

Default Universal Voltronics BRC

So I took a look at one of the power supplies from the huge CO2 lasers I have. They Universal Voltronics model LRC-50-40N-STD, not the BRC model but they look identical.
    I attached a datasheet which has a wiring diagram. Only the first 5 pins (1-5) were used on the laser. Pins 1 and 4 were jumpered. Pin 3 is ground, leaving only pins 2 &5 for control.
    I will take a better look and the other laser and make sure the connections are the same. I had removed the laser tube and power supply from the enclosure on one of them...

-George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image0.jpeg  

image1.jpeg  

image3.jpeg  

image5.jpeg  

image4.jpeg  

Attached Files Attached Files

This is hugely helpful!

How is the high voltage wire connected to the laser tube? Does your laser tube have three electrodes (anode, cathode and center)?

Also, can you please check if your other power supply has a relay with a three pin connector? It appears to be another interlock.

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	56945
    Last edited by turbohead; 08-15-2020 at 18:41.

Default Technical Interpretation: Wiring Diagram

I traced the connections to the relay and it simply connects two wire that go to the high voltage transformer.

Can someone please interpret this pinout for the LRC 10 pin connector:

Name:	LRC Pinout.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	57006

It states that Pin 5 is jumpered to common (Pin 3). Pin 4, HV Pulse Enable (+) is an input.

I connected Pin 5 to 3, Pin 4 to 1, applied 24VDC to the relay and I still do not get any high voltage output. I also have the high voltage terminals connected to a 40w CO2 laser tube.

What am I doing wrong?

Default Power supply schematic

Hi,

Maybe this schematic for the LRC 50-40 might help. This is for a 240 VAC version; my power supply is actually a 120VAC version, but the schematic is still helpful. Thank you for providing the manual for these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Universal Voltronics_Power Supply_Schematics.jpg  

Default Power supply replacements and repairs

By the way, Said Nazemi at Parallax Technology in Waltham MA has a few power supplies available. They are not originals, but he had some made for him. He also mentioned that Power Clinic offers repairs on these supplies.