Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good for lumia??

I've done lumia with a stepper, 25:1 gearing, and a < $10 ministeping driver that was smooth as silk even at barely perceptable speeds. (Seriously, you had to stare at in to see see that it was moving at all.) And I'm as critical as hell, ask anybody...

The only problem is - I've got about 40 of the prettest little Olympus brushless DC motors with 1000:1 planetary gear heads that are way better than the Escap motors that we used for Laserium, and I don't need them anymore... sigh
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Default THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I've done lumia with a stepper, 25:1 gearing, and a < $10 ministeping driver that was smooth as silk even at barely perceptable speeds. (Seriously, you had to stare at in to see see that it was moving at all.) And I'm as critical as hell, ask anybody...

The only problem is - I've got about 40 of the prettest little Olympus brushless DC motors with 1000:1 planetary gear heads that are way better than the Escap motors that we used for Laserium, and I don't need them anymore... sigh
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    thank you very much-- these are incredible little motors.. kind of you to give them.
    hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    thank you very much-- these are incredible little motors.. kind of you to give them.
    hak
    You are welcome.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    hak
    Are there any left?

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    Are there any left?

...Mike
    There are, but as BLDC motors you have to build a driver. I sent a couple of driver chips. (I picked them up years ago before they became 750 unit min order qtys, and I have fewer than I have motors. They require 6 external transistors - 2 for each coil and they're surface mount - so bread boarding is tedious.) Speed control can be done badly with input voltage and better by strobeing the driver chip to PWM the drive signal. Doing something close to 0-100% duty cycle requires a dual 555 circuit, or something equally involved. And I suggested he post his experiments...

Gotcha, thanks.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Thanks for the recommend on these. I found some small Nema 8 steppers with a 64:1 planetary gearbox that I just ordered. I'm anxious to try these out with the A4988 drivers I have. I tried some 19:1 steppers and they worked well, very smooth with a microstepping driver. I wanted a slower RPM gearbox since these steppers are noisy at low speed and I need painfully slow speed for my one of my overlapped effects. Now to find some vibration dampers for these nema 8 motors so they don't resonate through the whole lumia!

https://www.frankhumotor.com/nema-8-...604S-PG64.html
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I used a 25:1 worm gear to to reduce the speed, and a NEMA 17 stepper driving multiple worm gears. I didn't have any vibration problems in a 30 foot dome. Maybe the flex coupling between the stepper and the drive shaft isolated any vibration.

I used a 25:1 worm gear to to reduce the speed, and a NEMA 17 stepper driving multiple worm gears. I didn't have any vibration problems in a 30 foot dome. Maybe the flex coupling between the stepper and the drive shaft isolated any vibration.
    I have used NEMA 17 stepper motors before for various projects and used a vibration damper which really took the noise down to practically non existent. I'm hoping to find or fabricate a damper that will work. As for the lumia generated by the 19:1 motors, the image was smooth with no vibration or jitter, the audible noise was fairly loud though. For my living room laser setup, It was noticeable with lower volume music. Dampers have worked well for me in the past. These guys have worked wonders for me with NEMA 17s...

https://a.co/d/37BLfKD
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.