Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good for lumia??

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what David Kumpula could do with it in one of his builds...
    Like everyone else in the room, I was darn impressed when I saw this in action at SELEM a few years back.

I'd love to have an "idea man" like Kecked or Ekeefe come up with some practical applications for this unique device that would actually take full advantage of its capabilities and small footprint. Once a practical/unique idea for its use is in place, totally count me in for incorporating a prototype into a projector!

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 08-20-2020 at 06:19.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Hey Steve, for current version, shaft is 3mm
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

This could fill the dream I had while back of repeatable lumia. If you can actual map a lumia you can literally call up lumia cues that are repeatable.

Yeah, we have also spent time discussing this. We were thinking about steppers for position control.
    This is much cooler. And more expensive...

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

If it somehow could be changed to use one channel (one axis) on the machdsp (even if there i a bit of compromise) then it could be a viable addition to be added to a beam brush brush projector as it already requires a machdsp.

Benefits:
    - Rapid turning between grating/lumia effects on the hit of a single beat and back as another layer of control

or
    - Control of the discs to move back and forth really smoothly (or really slowly) (nudge on the beat etc)

It's just giving a random idea what it's benefit could be.. it maybe be too little to make it worthwhile as a product though!

(Repeatable lumia as was mentioned before sounds awsome! I also like repeatability because it means you can program something abroad or in a team no matter where you are knowing what the client will get other then "sorta giving an idea").

Nope. It will be per projector and if you bump or move it to much it will all be for nothing as the slightest shift craps up the alighment. I did this before and your accuracy of pointing is incredibly important. It’s sub mm distances.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

A large shaft galvo gives you 30 or 60 degrees of rotation and are plentiful on Ebay. Big galvos generally have better position sensors for use in industry.

But nothing beats quadrature control these days..

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thinking of it, it might make sense to use relay lens and shrink down the movement so a larger motion moves a smaller distance on the surface. That would also proportionally shrink your error.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    If it somehow could be changed to use one channel (one axis) on the machdsp (even if there i a bit of compromise) then it could be a viable addition to be added to a beam brush brush projector as it already requires a machdsp.
    No can do. You need two channels because you have two separate coils. That's how you get full rotation.

Bill has a funny story about how this motor came about: a customer asked him if he could modify the Saturn design to make it rotate 360 degrees. Bill's incredulous reply was something like "How do you expect me to cram a second set of windings into this already incredibly compact design? There's no way I could do this!"

But of course, once the seed had been planted he couldn't help but keep thinking about it, and eventually he was able to cram a second set of windings into the standard Saturn housing, creating this amazing motor.

Then when he showed it to the original customer they said, "Cool! What are you going to use it for?" At which point Bill said something like "I thought you already had a use for it, otherwise why did you ask for it?"

Evidently the other guy was just musing about the idea and actually didn't have any want or need for the thing, which is why Pangolin is still looking for a use-case for it.

Adam

Since extreme speed and torque would not be needed for lumia, I'm curious if this could be adapted to a 506. Granted, the amp alone would still make this prohibitively expensive for lumia. I am pondering Steve's idea of using a 4 wire stepper and setting up an extreme low frequency sin/cos controller...
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.