Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gratings! Who sells them?

Default Gratings! Who sells them?

Looking for all kinds of laser gratings with a surface area of about .7~1 square inch (gratings are not right in front of the galvo sets but mounted externally).

Really interested to see what options are out there! Glass gratings preffered!!

I recently got my hand on 1 machida grating.. i love the effect but the piece was way too small for external mounting (although the effect is awsome)

I heard the machida gratings were just 50 micron fibers laid next to each other, using a couple screws of the proper pitch to keep them aligned. Might be cheapest to make your own!

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I heard the machida gratings were just 50 micron fibers laid next to each other, using a couple screws of the proper pitch to keep them aligned. Might be cheapest to make your own!
    Sounds actually not too easy..
    I have a machida grating and it's like a frosted small piece of glass and the effect it creates is awsome.. but its not worth the money for me paying that much.

Btw 50 micron is really small. i have no idea how you would even bunch that up let alone attach to one another or screw down.. i think there is a reason why its expensive other then being niche.

... fiber-bundles, used for feeding the light in microscopy, are mostly 30 microns, so maybe even better effects?

Normally its as easy as arranging a bundle of fibers between two thin glass or acrylic plates, "rearranging" them strictly parallel without crossings and gaps, last glueing/welding the plates and cut the excess fibers ... did something similar with 10 and 1 micron thick platinum wires on micro-sensors some 10 years ago

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

wait... so you literally just lay them together on a piece of glass and sandwich them with a set of 2 screws clamping the plates down on one another? wouldnt an adhesive be a better idea? that's really cool though.. it probably isnt as easy though to ensure they dont overlap or you create too large gaps...

Maybe a too ambitious thing for now so for now i'll settle with whatever is being sold..

I'd love various gratings not only like a machida like grating (machido ones are sold only from quantities of 20) but even a lumia or line or burst grating would be nice!

I have a nice pile of them from the old laserjam days. I’ll look for them.

I've done this - while just playing around - long ago. You just comb the fibers flat on a piece of glass. It seems to me the trick, if there is one, is the index of refraction of the bonding material. Most things lumia are not about hi tech, as much as they are about - hey, what if I do this?...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I have a nice pile of them from the old laserjam days. I’ll look for them.
    Please do! interested

I know with lumia some used torture tubes I believe where would heat up a piece of glass so it warps/distorts
    However I look for something I can put in a dmx wheel (something I can 3d print adapters for if square shaped etc)

Glass lumia effects are easy to find over on this side of the pond, PJ. The Whittemore sample set has ~25 10x10cm square pieces of glass that work well for lumia. I've built several lumia wheels with just one sample set. A glass cutting tool, a glass nibbling tool, and a set of small diamond files is all you need to make circles out to the squares.

Quality scan-through gratings are another matter. The stuff sold by Spectrabeam.de is generally small and expensive. I bought a bunch of thin plastic sheets of burst and line burst years back from Medialas.com and that works fine for lower powers adhered to glass. I've also purchased lots and lots of lenticular stuff from eBay and Alibaba.com looking for a 'not too stretchy' effect. I have been disappointed by most of it and have lots of solid plastic sheets of the stuff if someone wants it. I have purchased several quality gratings from Laserlands store on AliExpress, but the size of the gratings are usually quite small and intended for laser pointers. Finally, star filter sets are nice sized and reasonably priced on eBay. A four or six point star filter is included in nearly all of my wheels.

All of this said, the grating effects like line, line burst, grid, etc. can be reproduced with a set of fast scanners, no wheels required!

If you find quality, largish glass gratings for a reasonable price, please share the find with us!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

All my stuff is 1”sq beatup reflection gratings....if I can even find it. Been 20 years. I see lots of plastic transmission grating sheets on amazon for really cheap. Some look interesting. Wonder if adding some way to deform the sheets might make for interesting new patterns. A little melting a little just bending. Worth a try. Betting best you’ll get is a line of dots you can’t compress or expand. I’ll keep looking.

looking at the spectrabeam page that is where the ones I have came from.