Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow laser or parts to build one

OK, I scanned past your spec above, thanks. I can see a major issue is being it has optics in the bottom and the top section too, so if they need alignment, it's a huge back and forth process, so I take that comment back about easy. I don't know how to best deal with that issue.

I want that good one, but for now I better get broken ones I can move forward on buying now.
    Last edited by LaserHobbyist; 09-07-2020 at 08:40.

Chris,

I will PM you.

Interesting in a mostly underpowered one!

I want that power supply, if that that is for sale, can I call dibs on it and get it later? How long might you wait?

I can get the Laser Diode Drivers anytime.

It takes 2 weeks to get them from the time I order them.

You would have to pay in advance.

Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by kclements View Post
    I can get the Laser Diode Drivers anytime.

It takes 2 weeks to get them from the time I order them.

You would have to pay in advance.

Just let me know.

Can you help me understand how 577 nm is produced in these units? What kind of magic is going on? What is the BRF doing?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserHobbyist View Post
    Can you help me understand how 577 nm is produced in these units? What kind of magic is going on? What is the BRF doing?
    The BRF selects the IR lasing wavelength. The one week class to explain how a BRF picks one and only one wavelength via transmitting a selected polarization requires Calculus. I don't do Calculus, unless it is the end of the world, and I'm getting triple overtime. Suffice it to say BRF is cool , it is a chuck of X-ray oriented quartz, and has been around since the invention of CW dye lasers. One of my favorite optics to work on. You rotate and tilt it to tune it as well as obtain minimum loss. On a good day they are at Brewster's angle for the tilt.
    ~
    The BRF produces a intracavity loss to all but the desired wavelength. Gets used in Dye, Ti-Saph, and OPSL. Basically it is a tunable waveplate of a very complex nature and comes in single and triple plate units. It has very low insertion loss.
    ~
    OPSL semiconductor disks can range say 10-100 nm in wavelength. It will lase where it wants to, without the BRF. I assure you it will lase in a wavelength where it is not desired without BRF, and hop around.
    ~
    The OPSL is the same topology as a three mirror dye laser, plus an intracavity doubling crystal. So 577 is starting with 1154 nm IR from the Semiconductor Disk. The nature of a optically pumped, MOCVD grown, strained quantum well, semiconductor crystal is outside the nature of this post. Coherent grows a multilayer crystal with a semiconductor bandgap that does not exist in nature. That custom band gap gets you the "oddball" IR wavelength needed. There are only 2-3 fabs in the world who can grow the wafer needed.
    ~

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-10-2020 at 12:08.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

See Link, See attached..

https://www.coherent.com/assets/lite...SL_vs_HeCd.pdf

Here is a BRF in a dye laser, note the black disk with the optic attached, tuned via the micrometer in the back of the picture.

Picture scarfed from Laser Resale, Inc. Web site...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5927 close-up, inside.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

Steve,

Appreciate the help, I must have seen some mention of BRF crystals in the past, but never had a clue what they were, so now I'm no longer clueless. Do I understand correctly all OPSL lasers must use tunable waveplates? I want to copy your responses out of this thread for reference and repost outside the forum to a thread I started on OPSL on another forum, with attributes, is that OK with everyone?

Regarding the 10-100 nm, such a short wavelength, I need do do more digging because I don't understand.

I would like to find a small dye laser to use with a 10 watt output DPSS 532 nm to make yellow. Using the word small is probably something I will get a chuckle out of saying..... maybe they don't come in size small, but relatively speaking, in that case. I found one on ebay but it's like over 125 pounds, too heavy, I'm limited to USPS mail and don't want to own a lot of real heavy gear living over seas, as at some point I will need to ship it all home.
    Last edited by LaserHobbyist; 09-10-2020 at 21:09.

1158 +/- 10 nm to maybe +/- 100 nm. The OPSL laser is tunable.

I can't export you the 25 pound dye laser, nor the 30 pound dye pump,
    It would require Department of State permission to export the Coherent 590 OEM dye.
    Seems they had a use in the dividing of fissile things. ITAR looms large in that one.

Steve